Trailer came off the hitch

Page 2 of 3
On 7/3/2011 7:09 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Do you ever tire of your endless stupid stories? By definition a jail trustee is under direct supervision.

George wrote:

Heh! Maybe in the jails you've, um, "visited." But what you say is mostly true for "inside" trustees like cooks and administrative workers.
Around here, outside trustees are not supervised. They check-out a mower or a set of wrenches in the auto shop and are told to be back for lunch. "Yes, boss" is the approved answer and they virtually never fail to return.
As an aside, most outside trustees are those convicted of manslaughter, occasionaly murder. The theory is that someone convicted of a crime that took place in the heat of the moment (i.e., manslaughter) is basically a rule-follower and that if the circumstances surrounding his original crime are not present, he'll follow the rules (law). Conversely, those in the slammer for burglary, armed robbery, and the like, planned their crime and have no moral hesitation regarding an additional infraction.
On 7/3/2011 5:38 PM, HeyBub wrote:

and of course their work is never verified..

There you go again, wanting to push the responsibility on to someone else. It _IS_ the driver's responsibility. You have to be a moron to ride with someone who is irresponsible.

No, a moron is someone who continues to read you after all your moronic spew.
You may leave now.
Poof.
Steve
wrote

Ahhh, another self appointed net nanny. Gotta love you guys.
Steve B wrote:

Maybe a case of not knowing how to hitch(what is the weight of trailer? What is tongue weight?) or poor equipment maintenance.
HeyBub wrote:

When I was but a whee lad my dad's camping trailer came off the hitch on a mountain highway. The safety chains detached from the trailer and after missing all other traffic it disappeared over the side of the highway. We were able to get access to it on a service road below and strapped all of the gear and broken pieces to the frame and headed back home.
Dad took the manufacturer to court and won... We got enough money to replacement camping gear, and a new trailer. when my dad went to pick up the trailer the manufacturer handed him the safety chains and said, "you can install them!"
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

A good rule of thumb is the tongue weight of a trailer should be about 10-15% of the total weight of the trailer (and load). It should never be pulling up on the hitch when attached.
On 07/02/2011 03:40 PM, Ned Flanders wrote:

Even so, it can still come off... had an empty trailer come off on me once while making a right turn onto a busy street. Dumbass me let the truck rental place guy put it on rather than doing it myself, because I figured he'd done it plenty more times. Guess he didn't tighten it down enough. Oddly, after I attached it myself I drove it hundreds of miles before turning it back in without it coming off once. If you want something done right, sometimes...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

The last time you told that story- "It fell off as I turned out of the parking lot :(" http://groups.google.com/group/misc.consumers.house/msg/ac890b0aaf5024db?hl=en&dmode=source -----
- gpsman
On 07/04/2011 08:36 AM, gpsman wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/misc.consumers.house/msg/ac890b0aaf5024db?hl=en&dmode=source
yes, both are true statements. I turned out of the parking lot onto a busy main street.
What a pathetic, bland existence you must have.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Sure.
Ya think...? -----
- gpsman

hey, it's twoo, it's twoo. I also reconnected the trailer in the left turn lane of said street (I want to say it was Lorain Ave., but memory of events occurring 10+ years ago isn't the greatest) at the next intersecton, while giving my girlfriend on-the-fly lessons in backing up a moving truck and following hand signals (because I figured that since she had never before *either* driven a moving truck or hitched up a trailer, that manhandling the tongue of the trailer was probably the job that I was better suited for) not that it's pertinent to the point that I was making, namely "it doesn't matter how many times someone's done something, if you're driving the rig, check it yourself anyway." (clear message - I trusted someone else to do something right, didn't check it, and got put in a bad situation that could have been much much worse than it was because that one time I didn't double check.) As an aside, and in support of a point that another poster made in this thread, the safety chains *were* crossed and not too long, which was fortunate. The tongue settled onto the safety chains and didn't dig into the road, nothing broke, etc.
Now what if I'd posted the name of the company from whom I rented the truck, or some other detail, and misremembered it? I can see you doing a little happy dance in your dank, messy basement slash usenet reading area because you finally "caught" me in a "lie." I guess with an existence as evidently miserable as yours you need to get your joyous moments however you can, although that is pretty sad.

when you apparently have enough free time to try to "fact check" posts to Usenet to try to catch people you don't like contradicting themselves merely because you've taken a dislike to them... yeah. You *must* have a pretty pathetic, bland existence. And you're creepy. And not real bright, if you think that somehow "as I turned right out of the parking lot" and "as I turned onto a busy street" are somehow contradictory.
nate

No, they're inconsistent.
"As I was turning out of the parking lot" does not seem as if it would be a detail omitted from a true story.
Remember when you misremembered that you've worn glasses since the 4th grade, then reported you'd passed an eye exam "with flying colors"...? http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker/msg/b0cf1e2fcebddd7d?hl=en&dmode=source
You're a liar. There no sense pretending you're not. -----
- gpsman

WTF? not inconsistent at all. I was turning right, out of the parking lot, onto a busy street. It's entirely possible to do all three things at the same time.

WTF? Do you want to know what I was wearing at the time also? (probably jeans, a T-shirt, and work boots, but I can't exactly remember. Might have been wearing shorts. I know that it was f'ing hot out. Oh, I forgot to mention that, too.) I wasn't aware that I needed to post explicit detail about everything that happened before you'd believe me. Oh, wait, I don't care whether you believe me or not. I *do* care that you're a creepy stalker, and I wish you'd knock it off. I also care that you are an idiot who lowers the average IQ of a room by double digits whenever you walk in the door, so it'd be nice if you'd STFU and stick to topics that you actually know something about, but previous experience has led be to believe that that's too much to hope for.

WTF? Obviously I was wearing my glasses when I took the exam, otherwise I wouldn't have a driver's license, dipshit. A reasonable person would know what I meant, and that's who I write for, not idiots like you.

WTF? You're just making stuff up in a pathetic, transparent attempt to make it appear that I'm lying, but you're not even good enough at cherrypicking to make anyone actually believe you. You're pathetic and pathological.
Get help.
nate

Sure. Liars like yourself base their stories on plausibility.
If you'd just fueled up and didn't/barely made it out of the station I don't think you'd omit that detail the 100th time you related it...

Red herring. Irrelevant circumstance.

Right. A "complete vision exam" occurs with the examinee wearing corrective lenses.

Making stuff up...? Like you reporting to be employed and having all day every day to post to Usenet? http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?hl=en&enc_user=-foHKBMAAACRTsmvHpkZqpCQjnVR4i0zWMj6vob75xS36mXc24h6ww
And that just one of your dozen nyms.

Right. It's not you, it's me. -----
- gpsman

IKYABWAI.
Why? it's an irrelevant detail.

Exactly.
The important point is that I didn't check the hitch *myself* and lived to regret it.
That is the point that I was trying to convey.
I believe that everyone understood that point, except for you.

The one that you have to take when you move into the state and/or renew your license most definitely does.

Sure, I spend "all day every day" on Usenet. And then you whine if I don't answer every one of your snipey little screeds. Here's a clue, Sparky - you're a punching bag. A known k00k. People take you exactly as seriously as such luminaries as Aunt Judy and Carl Troller. You're a pathetic little dried-up dog turd on the sidewalk of Usenet; a not that exciting toy occasionally to be dragged out for amusement purposes only. Accept it, move on.

I'm glad you have finally accepted that. I suppose it's too much to ask that now that you realize that you have a problem, that you limit your posts to those subjects of which you have actual knowledge?
nate

From: Nate Nagel Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 18:19:09 -0400
"IKYABWAI." Another classic lame. http://groups.google.com/group/misc.transport.road/msg/a694c995fefa49db?hl=en&dmode=source

Lol.
Yeah, well, perhaps they don't know full of shit you are.

You've worn glasses since 4th grade and think those 30 seconds comprise a "complete vision exam"...?

I know. When the fuck would you get any employment done?

Really...?
You mean citing you...?
From: (Nate Nagel) Date: 17 Jul 2002 09:42:54 -0700
"Peeve: people who act superior, but run away when they realize that bluster and BS doesn't always "win" a "discussion." http://groups.google.com/group/alt.peeves/msg/ba07cabc151d1bad?hl=en&dmode=source

Ouch.
Like Nate Nagel, the driving expert with 5 wrecks and dog only knows how many tickets...?
From: "N8N" Date: 7 Dec 2006 05:01:05 -0800
"The 5 wrecks are probably why my insurance was so high in MD" http://groups.google.com/group/rec.autos.driving/msg/0f5ccae27f91c641?hl=en&dmode=source
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 21:20:23 GMT
"Well, I finally got the ticket. 74 in a 55, I was doing it, no doubt." http://groups.google.com/group/alt.law-enforcement.traffic/msg/e4d662026b2c8377?hl=en&dmode=source
From: "Nathan J. Nagel" Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 15:46:22 GMT
"I got clocked by a cop who was hiding behind a billboard as doing 73 in a 60 (my speedometer said 65.)" http://groups.google.com/group/alt.law-enforcement/msg/f0defa74596da809?hl=en&dmode=source
From: Nathan Nagel Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 15:11:46 GMT
"I've actually not only been stopped, but ticketed for doing an alleged 73 in a 65, and I don't actually think I was going that fast (I *saw* the cop sitting at the side of the road a long time before he saw me" http://groups.google.com/group/alt.law-enforcement/msg/c3d6cc7f4b0d34ce?hl=en&dmode=source
From: Nathan Nagel Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 12:53:05 GMT
"The ice hole that pulled me over for "73" (really more like 60) in a "55" (speed limit was actually 65)" http://groups.google.com/group/misc.transport.road/msg/f17575fd58c42e9a?hl=en&dmode=source -----
- gpsman