John Deere GT262 Garden tractor, maybe 10 years old. I jump started my
neighbor's tractor (positive to positive, neg to neg) and it went fine. Now
my battery light is on when it is running, and otherwise seems to run fine
(lights work, PTO engages, runs normally). What might have happened? What
should I do? What other information would you like to have to help here?
Thanks for the help,
Tomes <- moderately handy but no expert on this
I thought tractors used 24 volt systems. Of course my only experience with
John Deere's is the John Deere 146 front end loader. The poster only gave
one side of the situation that I could see, maybe he jumped a 24 volt system
with a 12 volt battery or vice versa.
This is just a garden tractor, used for lawn mowing and snow throwing and
pulling firewood around the property (anything bigger than that gets the
attention of the Jeep). The other guy's was a lawn tractor. 12v vs. 12v.
Is there a way to diagnose this? Is a voltage regulator an easy/cheap fix?
Tomes <- full of questions
A digital meter can be had for less than $10.
Measure the voltage of your battery with engine off and on.
If it is more with it on, then ignore the light. If it is the same
or less then you have zonked your charge system.
next time, unhook one cable from your battery before you give a jump
from the unhooked battery.
1991. list at:
manual for sale at:
Just wanted to close the loop a bit with my issue.
I ended up just disconnecting the battery, cleaning up the connections
(which were very shiny but I sanded them anyways), also cleaning up the
connection of the ground at the motor bottom, and trying it again. After
this last week or so of using it, it shone the light only once the second
time I ran it and has not shone the light since. I have used it maybe 7-5
times, for a couple hours or only some minutes each time.
So I don't know what I really 'did'. The connections looked OK, but were
cleaned up - maybe that was it, but it all was brought on by that jump
start, hmmm. Perhaps I 'reset' something by disconnecting? What do we
think about this at this point? I consider the problem solved (the Tomes
way of fixing things - take it apart and put it back together again and the
problem goes away - works for me a lot <grin>) as the light is off all the
time now. I just have little idea what went on and am still fishing for
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.