Tractor battery light on - what to do?

Hi folks, John Deere GT262 Garden tractor, maybe 10 years old. I jump started my neighbor's tractor (positive to positive, neg to neg) and it went fine. Now my battery light is on when it is running, and otherwise seems to run fine (lights work, PTO engages, runs normally). What might have happened? What should I do? What other information would you like to have to help here? Thanks for the help, Tomes <- moderately handy but no expert on this
Tomes wrote:

Your solid state reggulator modlue maybe partially cooked jumping the neighbor' battery. Is it charging and holding it? Then maybe just light is on, otherwise....

I thought tractors used 24 volt systems. Of course my only experience with John Deere's is the John Deere 146 front end loader. The poster only gave one side of the situation that I could see, maybe he jumped a 24 volt system with a 12 volt battery or vice versa.

pulling firewood around the property (anything bigger than that gets the attention of the Jeep). The other guy's was a lawn tractor. 12v vs. 12v.
Is there a way to diagnose this? Is a voltage regulator an easy/cheap fix? Tomes <- full of questions

A digital meter can be had for less than $10. Measure the voltage of your battery with engine off and on. If it is more with it on, then ignore the light. If it is the same or less then you have zonked your charge system.
next time, unhook one cable from your battery before you give a jump from the unhooked battery.
.

One more thing.
Ask the neighbor to help you troubleshoot the problem. He has lots of experience with battery problems. <g>
1991. list at: http://www.deere.com/en_US/homeowners/media/pdfs/products_equipment/non_current_equipment/history.pdf
manual for sale at: http://www.deere.com/en_US/homeowners/products_non_current/manuals/gt262_manuals.html
Tomes wrote:

Just wanted to close the loop a bit with my issue.
I ended up just disconnecting the battery, cleaning up the connections (which were very shiny but I sanded them anyways), also cleaning up the connection of the ground at the motor bottom, and trying it again. After this last week or so of using it, it shone the light only once the second time I ran it and has not shone the light since. I have used it maybe 7-5 times, for a couple hours or only some minutes each time.
So I don't know what I really 'did'. The connections looked OK, but were cleaned up - maybe that was it, but it all was brought on by that jump start, hmmm. Perhaps I 'reset' something by disconnecting? What do we think about this at this point? I consider the problem solved (the Tomes way of fixing things - take it apart and put it back together again and the problem goes away - works for me a lot <grin>) as the light is off all the time now. I just have little idea what went on and am still fishing for understanding, thanks. Tomes