Traction for a stair step?

Howdy,

I built a single stair step out of some wood, and I would like to add something for traction. I was thinking of sprinkling some sand (washed) on it when I prime it, then maybe another coat of paint on top.

Does this sound like a reasonably effective method of providing some traction, or is there a better method?

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Pumice, not sand, mixed with paint. Doesn't damage the wood when it comes off like quartz sand. Sold in a can of powder in the paint dept. This is used on boats.

3M makes a pricey but very good stick-on traction material.
Reply to
Richard J Kinch

The poor man's non-slip surface method is to rough up the finish with coarse sandpaper. Polyurethane is very non slippery but can be contaminated by waxs and oils and cleaners. So you need to rough up the surface with sandpaper. It hardly shows so doesn't affect the look.

Truck bed liner covering is excellent, too:

valvejob

Thanks, Richard, I picked up a bag of the stuff from my local paint store ($4.00).

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken