Traction for a stair step?

Howdy,
I built a single stair step out of some wood, and I would like to add something for traction. I was thinking of sprinkling some sand (washed) on it when I prime it, then maybe another coat of paint on top.
Does this sound like a reasonably effective method of providing some traction, or is there a better method?
Thanks,
Jon
Jon Danniken writes:

Pumice, not sand, mixed with paint. Doesn't damage the wood when it comes off like quartz sand. Sold in a can of powder in the paint dept. This is used on boats.
3M makes a pricey but very good stick-on traction material.
"Richard J Kinch" wrote:

Thanks, Richard, I picked up a bag of the stuff from my local paint store ($4.00).
Jon
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:43:30 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

The poor man's non-slip surface method is to rough up the finish with coarse sandpaper. Polyurethane is very non slippery but can be contaminated by waxs and oils and cleaners. So you need to rough up the surface with sandpaper. It hardly shows so doesn't affect the look.
Truck bed liner covering is excellent, too:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)