Tracking down AFCI faults

No limit. You could "paper" the walls with them as long as you can manage all the cable runs in a code compliant manner - neat and workmanlike - Good workmanship, or however they state it.

Reply to
clare

If it's easy to run new circuits, I say go for it. I tried to trace a fault in the outside porch lighting with a fox and hound and even a powered line tracer. Spent hours pulling boxes, taking meter readings and generally driving myself crazy. Turns out it was a cable staple that had sawed through the insulation over the decades just because of general vibrations, at least AFAICT. Although I couldn't replace all the old wiring with new runs, I moved a lot of higher amperage loads to new wiring.

When I was trying to find my arc fault I got an AFCI outlet with a pass through and installed it in the outlet boxes that I had opened. Found a backstabbed outlet downstream that way. It was arcing, but nothing you could hear or see.

Reply to
Robert Green

Perhaps he is just Watt's son?

Reply to
clare

First rule when troubleshooting ANY home electrical problem. Eliminate ALL backstabbed connections on ALL devices. No IFS, ANDS or BUTS

. If possible replace all devices with spec grade devices

Reply to
clare