Track Lighting Update - For Those Interested

I have decided not to replace the track heads in my linear track lighting unit for the time being.
I wanted to keep the linear track, and replace the track heads. That means I would have to replace 13 halogen track heads with LED lights. But I just found out that whenever you buy a track head, once the LED burns out, it is not replaceable. The entire track head is history. Supposedly, these bulbs burn about 32 years, if you use them approximately three hours a day. The warranty is three years. So, if one burns out in less than three years, or more, the problem is that they may not sell the same light fixture anymore so I would be stuck with 12 that match, and one odd one.
Nobody can tell me much of anything as they are too new on the market. For all they know, some will fail and not work within a year.
In a nutshell, I am holding off as I have also been told that the prices should start to come down eventually. They really are expensive.
If anyone can add to this post, it would be appreciated. I am on a learning curve.
Thanks.
Kate
On 03/13/2014 11:12 PM, Kate wrote:

If you are worried about not finding an exact replacement just buy a couple of spares now.
OTOH: I too am holding off on getting LED's until the price goes down I'm converting my house to CFL's .

I am using the same track heads I bought years ago with halogen bulbs. However, I have installed LED replacement bulbs. The newer ones look good (same color temp as the old halogens) but they don't get hot and use much less power. The LED heads I have seen recently have the problems you pointed out plus they have (in my opinion) an odd color. Try using standard heads with replacement LED bulbs.
Pat

This is incorrect. You can get regular PAR-20 or R-30 form-factor LED bulbs and they'll work in any track head designed for that form-factor bulb (which is commonly used for incandescent and halogen).