Tracing Burried Romex in Yard

Page 3 of 5
Matt wrote:

Jack Kennedy... he's the guy who got his 45Kt. PT Boat ran over by a 30Kt. Destroyer that he was supposed to be hunting for. (Enemy destroyer, during wartime, you know...)
inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know

Yeah, thats him.
Same guy that later looked the Russians in the eye and told them to fuck off.
You'll remember - think about it some more.
You know, the reason there havn't been nukes pointed at the US, sitting just off Florida for the last 40+ years.
(Nukes, maniacal dictator, near instantaneous delivery time to the US, you know...)
Matt wrote:

Not even Castro would be stupid enough to use one since we had a hundred or so pointed at him.
inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
Gort wrote:

sitting
US,
hundred
Thanks to JFK, we will never know.
Jimbo,
Can't you just go away?
Thanks Matt
Matt,
Can't YOU just go away instead?
Stretch

Stretch -
Aren't there some buried cables that need to be located in your yard somewhere?
Matt

Say, you're on the wrong end of a manslaughter charge. Which argument do you think would work better:
a) The advice I gave was harmless, at worst he'd look silly crawling around his yard with a transistor radio glued to his ear.
b) I _knew_ my advice was hazardous, and would quite likely result in property damage, injury or death. Or all three.
Think carefully.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Oops. I meant, the better answer is: A.

You're mentally challenged, I doubt you would be charged.

You recommended something that you _knew_ could lead to injury or death - which is well beyond negligent homicide.
If you were lucky and the person didn't die, you'd likely only be charged with civil assault. And you'd lose.
[Little known fact: civil "assault" doesn't mean someone is injured by your direct actions. Doing something that a "reasonable person" would/should have known could cause injury is sufficient. Even if it's a joke.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
On Mon, 09 May 2005 17:43:08 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

But can the mentally challenged, like Matt, be found guilty of such a crime? If they could, I suspect Matt would have been in jail long ago.
On Mon, 09 May 2005 17:43:08 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

So, if I said to someone, "Go f**k yourself...", and they did and got pregnant because of it, would that imply paternity and/or financial responsibility?

DJ

Has Matt managed to get himself pregnant?

"Reasonable person test" would fail ;-)
That said, a common "sample case" shown in law courses is where a guy said to the wife of a friend "your husband just got killed in a car accident" as a joke. Wife faints, falls down the stairs and injures herself.
"Reasonable man test" says "a reasonable person would know, or ought to have known that there was a good chance it'd be believed, and if believed, something "bad" has a reasonable chance of happening".
_That_ is civil assault.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris,
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Sorry but no. I'm not a lawyer either but I do know that to have a cause of action at law the person you are suing must have had a duty to you that they breached. It is decided law that advice given freely is worth what you pay for it and creates no duty toward the hearer. -- Tom H

Uh, no. It _helps_ to be sure. Particularly for professionals handing out free advice, but sometimes being a professional may make it worse.
It's by no means a slam dunk. There's never _zero_ duty of care.
Given a sufficiently egregious stupidity, _nothing_ will save you.
Matt's being a case in point. He'd be in even more danger if he were a "pro".
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't these newsgroup postings archived by the server networks? If that is the case all Matts comments would be real easy to find if someone did feel he caused them harm and wanted to take legal action. It's interesting to note that some of his follow up comments are almost more damaging to his credability than his initial comments on how to trace an underground wire by shorting out your main fuse box.