Tracing Burried Romex in Yard

Page 2 of 5

Chernobyl I think.
Theoretically, it _might_ work. Just look for the trench the explosion dug.
Mind you, you won't be able to, because the explosion in the main blinded you.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

I don't even see a remote possibility of that procedure showing you anything useful. It's been used to turn the power off to the circuit? By shorting out the mains?
I say the redneck method for turning a breaker off for a particular circuit without having to know which breaker it's on is to short out the hot to the outlet box with a screwdriver. You already know which circuit(s) the main provide for.
Well, I believe the theory is that the romex will heat up like a toaster element, burning a black streak from its origin to it's destination.
Sort of like on "The Money Pit" when Tom Hanks turns on the kitchen lights.
And careful with that redneck advice, Olaf.
You'll probably get a warning from the safety marshall.
Matt:
I like a joke as much as the next person but this group is a mix of seasoned individuals with a wealth off knowlege on may subjects and other who don't know much about anything. Going on a public forum like this and even indirectly hinting that shorting out the wiring at the main box might help a person trace the path of a wire is just plain stupid. If just one person out of the possible thousands who lurk on this site follows your advise you could be responsible for someone killing themselves.
I look forward to your response
Jimbo

Jimbo -
If someone goes out to usenet and follows advice that gets them killed, then they shouldn't have been messing with it in the first place.
Usenet is not a qualified, guaranteed safe source of information FOR ANYTHING, and I don't recall getting the memo that said if you follow advice given here, everything will turn out just dandy.
I'm also very tired of the line "you could be responsible for someone's death". If that is true, then the exact opposite is also true - people giving reliable instuctions on how to do something, and someone follows it and dies.
By that logic, this group should not exist at all - it's a hazard and kills people!
Bottom line is - if you don't know what you are doing, and "it" involves fuel, electricity, powerful springs (garage doors), or anything else that holds the potential to kill you (a clothes dryer, a stove, a microwave) ... then don't fuck with it. Call someone who knows what they are doing.
If a person isn't smart enough to know their own limitations and capabilities, a usenet forum isn't going to change a damn thing.

You're a complete village idiot and a useless troll. And I believe you when you say you are incapable of learning anything from usenet. I have stumps in my yard smarter than you.

Yes, I've heard trees stumps are all the rage in mobile home parks.
I'm sure you have quite the collection.
Your response in nothing less and nothing more than I expected.
I have been using usenet for years in my hobby of restoring old cars and in my sons specialty TIG welding business. Nobody can have all the right answer to every problem and I have always found most usenet posters to be very genuine and willing to help others through a difficult situation. The number of top quality professionals willing to share their knowledge is amazing to say the least. However I guess it should be expected that their will always be people like you looking for an opportunity to mess with peoples heads.
Have a great day
Jimbo

That's an awful lot of words, Jimbo.
You could have just said "Ya know - your right".
Oh wait. I guess you did.
Have a fantasticaly wonderful day!
Matt

But that's not what he said, now is it?.
I suggest you read it again.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

What makes you think he can read?
Bob
The same mystical power that compels you to believe Chris can be "made to think".
I'm with Matt on this one. Usenet is a form of entertainment sprinkled with an occasional nugget of wisdom. If you don't like the environment or the visitors or their style, feel free to GO AWAY!

Birds of a feather....

No doubt all true. However... Speaking hypothetically suppose some idiot did follow your advice and shorted the mains and for arguments sake let's say they lived. Then let's say they sued you for giving them this advice to begin with. It's not likely they really have a case but they do have the right to sue I believe (I'm not sure, not an attorney).
So ok, you make your above point and you do probably win the case.
Do you think that the judge or civil adjutant or whoever is just going to say very good carry on? I think that you would most like have a discussion with someone in authority about the wisdom of giving life threatening advice in any forum.
If the person following your advice died I think that while you still might legally prevail that discussion would be a tad more serious. And some prosecutor somewhere might make it their business to hit you with some charge and they might just make it stick.
Not a good idea giving out life threatening advice even if it's obviously a joke. Just too dangerous. ml
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Agreed.
But what about the other point I made?
Isn't someone giving technically accurate advice just as likely to end up at the end of a lawsuit in the event someone is killed/injured following it?
If not, why not?
I'm no lawyer but my son is an insurance adjuster and he see courts pay out judgements on some very strange cases and I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibilities that and injured or dead persons insurance company would try and sue you under the subrogation clause of the victims health or life policy. Now wouldn't that be something we could all laugh about, an even bigger laugh would be your legal bill.
Jimbo

Jimbo,
Can't you just go away?
Thanks Matt
It's obvious to me a least that your not getting much support for your twisted way of thinking. I think a lot of respondence are posting more out of the concern that someone out there might actually think you know what your talking about. Your obviously an intelligent person but that doesn't mean your worth listening.
I think you have done more than I have to help me make my point, so I'll let you play with someone else.
Jimbo

Whatever you say Jimbo.
It's obvious that you are more concerned with getting the last word in then you are about actually discussing the validity of a topic - which is good - because as you said: YOU ARE NO LAWYER.
You ain't no Jack Kennedy, either.
Fuck, you don't even match up to the capabilities of rain man.

I think you are right. So I'll let you go back to playing with yourself.
And for god's sake PLEASE put me in your killfile.
Thank you. Matt