tracing a sewage line

Page 2 of 2

There's also a little transmitter on the end on some, and a sensor that beeps when you walk over it.
Steve

Don't count on it. When I replaced mine three years ago, I had to take it to the sewer main connection, even though this meant installing it through 30' of the city's dirt. Didn't bother me, because that 30' is also part of my yard, plus the cost of that last 30' was small. But I had to take it to the city facility, not just to city property.
(And for those who say I should have used rock salt ... I was replacing Orangeburg. Was only going to get worse.)
Edward

I wish I lived close to you, and I'd do it for free. Witch it.
Take two Tabasco bottles and empty them. Make two L shaped pieces of baling wire. The short leg should be 1/2" longer than the bottles are deep so the ends of the wires sit on the bottom of the inside of the bottle. The long leg should be 12". Put one in each bottle. Hold them in front of you with elbows bent, with your wrists touching your belly on the side, and so that they are only very very very slightly facing forward and tilted so they drop towards the front of you. They should be about 16" apart. Walk around, and when you cross a line, they will swing to a straight line across your body. To test it, take a section of any pipe and lay it on the ground and try it. Try it with a tin can or tin can lid. Getting the light touch where it is almost vertical, but canted just a little forward is critical so you can utilize their sensitivity. Now walk over the suspected pipe from a 90 degree angle. Use little cones, or those landscape flags on wires, and you will soon have a very nice picture on top of the ground.
I have had many people tell me this won't work. Then I throw a tin can lid on the ground, and the wires cross over it. Or I have people hide a can lid, and I find it. It works for PVC, too, the water in the PVC having some sort of electromagnetic field.
Make a set. They will cost you a couple of bucks. Have some fun. They work, and I've found lots of lines with them.
Caveats: Power lines, both overhead and buried will cause them to go crazy. And they don't work for everyone. Turn off electrical devices. Leave your cell phone a distance away. Turn off other electronic locators. If they do work for you, you got a valuable tool for $5. If you ever don't have Tabasco bottles, you can use PVC with caps, or just held loosely enough in your hands so they tilt forward a little. The hole through your hands should be about as big as a broomstick, and the wires touching you in the top front, and back rear of your hands.
Let us know how it works. I have surprised and silenced many people.
Steve http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

I have tried this and it worked for me when I had to find a sewer line's path under a concrete slab in a basement. Don't know if my 'estimate' of the line's path had any affect on the rods or not but I found the line. I just used two pieces of coat hanger wire held loosely in my hands.
why not try rock salting the sewer line?. its near free 25 pounds of rock salt cost 3 bucks here at the grocery store.you can also use softener salt. the salt kills roots but doesnt hurt the tree
its quick and done a few times a year becomes a maintence item.
much of the line replacement cost is based on depth of existing line....
mine is 8 feet deep and they will have to use stuff so the ditch cant collapse on the workers.
i got estimates of 8 to 10 grand over 10 years ago.
so 10 bucks a year for rock salt isnt a issue:)

I'll do it.
And I'll try the dousing (sp?) bit too. Both fit right in my budget!
Jeff

On 2/6/2011 12:25 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

Rock salt is a viable solution if and only if the line is basically sound, but has joints the roots get into. Most commonly, the short sections of clay tile or cast iron, where they didn't pack the joints properly. But if frost heave or ground slump has actually caused a joint to open and the ends no longer line up, or if you have that orangeberg crap, or thin plastic, that has collapsed into a narrow oval, or has numerous cracks, physical replacement with modern thick-wall plastic and only a few joints, is the best cure. If you have a middle-age or older house and don't have the as-built records, only way to know for sure what is going on, is to have somebody open the cleanout and run a camera down it.
I'll throw in that if you ever plan on selling the house, 'fresh sewer line all the way to street line or septic tank', is a real big selling feature to any buyer that has ever had to deal with a main-line failure.
--
aem sends...

well I did the camera thing and hhave a videotape of the roots.theres a slight dip in the line but it appears no problem
But really lets say you know you have a tree root problem most likely you have had the line snaked and roots cut in the past. Or even if this is your VERY FIRST PROBLEM.
rock sallt might fix it, and in any case its not hazardous, and can do no harm..
so whats the downside of trying salt?
in my case 8 to 10 grand is average house to street replacement cost, more for under garage basement floor. plus restoration. my dip in the line prevents use of interior line coating that sock thing.

<snip>
<snip>
Dowsing is fun to play with. You don't need the tubes, cans, whatever, Bend the rod in an "L", balance them on you little finger and make a loose tube with the rest of the fingers. Hold them with long leg horizontal and walk slowly. If they work for you, they will cross when you cross a wire or pipe. For some people they swing "out", for me they swing "in". I can stand over a pipe, sway back and forth and the rods cross and uncross as it do it.
Harry K
On 2/6/2011 11:33 AM, Harry K wrote:

I think you mean index finger, let me know if not.

I'm ready to try it, but I've been running around getting stuff for the roof. It looks fabulous!
I got to drive their truck down to pick up 5 more square and although I've had many driving experiences, this was a new one. Just turn the key, touch the wires together and it starts right up. No third gear and 2nd was slipping. I could say more... I had picked up their black mechanic after two days of trying to get him to the door, he put in 2 freeze plugs ($40) in a F150 in the time it took me to get back.
I find this all great fun and superbly entertaining. You can't buy this! I'm getting absolutely top notch work, and doing a good deed to boot. You know how that works out.
Jeff

No. The end of the short leg of the "L" rests on your little finger. The other 3 fingers and thumb form the "tube". You _can_ use jars, cans or whatever but it isn't needed. Just hold the rods _loosely_.
Harry K
<snip>

OK.
Jeff

Jeff, et al. I will video myself dowsing and post it to youtube. Might not be tomorrow, as it is windy, and I have to go out of town, but will be one day real soon. It's something very easy to show, but kinda difficult to describe.
I will make some little pvc holders and see if that works. I've always used bare hands, and don't know if having anything but flesh on the wires affects it or not. Will see.
Steve
On 2/8/2011 1:49 AM, Steve B wrote:

Thanks, that's very nice.
Might not

It'll be days before I can do anything. On today's list is changing the lifters in my girlfriends Mustang, trimming in the front door, and getting the rest of the roof finished. Then there is more house painting. At least I am almost done working (web developer) on this:
http://paragon360.com/home_page.html
I remember when days seemed possible, not overwhelming. How does life get so complicated?
It's something very easy to show, but kinda difficult to

I guess we will. I like "the direct" approach.
Jeff

It's the principle of the riding lawn mower. The riding lawnmower was not so we could mow the yard, then go have a beer, take a nap, go fishing, go ________ (fill in the blank.)
The purpose of the riding lawn mower is so we can have a bigger yard.
All our labor saving devices just let us do more work. Which brings us to multitasking - The ability to do more than one thing at once, but none of them very good.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend. Download the book. http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Same here but I have my doubts about the accuracy.
I have:
1. dowsed 3 wells successfully but in this country you can poke a hole anywhere and hit water. 2. Dowsed my water lien for 1/4 mile to the community well...and found I was no where close to it. 3. Dowsed my neighbors septic lines...but they were in the only logical place. 4. Traced my sewer line from house to tank and got a real weird result. Accurate but the rods stopped indicating anything when the line entered the tank. I also know approx where the tank was. 5. Traced phone lines accurately (phone was a surprise - it ran around my lot vice in front of it like the phone company thought. Proven by finding a tag on a fence pose showing that plus the phone company used it's equipment to find it (I needed to dig across it.
Lots of other things playing with them but where results were proven there were usually visual clues to what I found. From my limited tests, most people can use them.
The rods are really fun (and very scary for soem people) to play with but I don't bet money on them.
Harry K

If you live in the city, the sewer department lads can locate your line for you. In our small town, this was a freebie when I needed it done. There may be a charge in larger communities, just ask. It won't take more than half to one hour to do, really simple. If you need a commercial firm to do it, the asking price should reflect the modest time involved.
Joe