Towing your own car a short distance

I got my car stuck in the mud on my farm. Got a tractor to pull it, and a chain, but no one around to steer the car. I've tried it before by myself, and it never fails that the car decides to steer itself the wrong way. If I'm lucky, I can go 10 feet, then have to get off the tractor, turn the car's steering to get it straight, and hopefullyt go another 10 feet.
Has anyone ever found a way to lock the steering wheel so that is stays straight when you pull it? There has to be some way to do that! But I've never found out how.
On 4/24/13 6:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

Would something like this work? http://tinyurl.com/b5p6ov9

Use the trick auto towers have used forever!
If a tower picks up a car by the back wheels, the front wheels must be kept straight. The tower simply turns the front wheels straight, takes a 4-5 ft piece of rope, puts a simple loop-slip knot around the wheel at a point closest to the door, runs the rope out the door, and closes the door. This WILL keep the wheels straigh! I'm serious. I didn't believe it either, but I once worked as an auto wrecker/tower fer a couple mos and was astonished that it does, indeed, work perfectly.
This knot is SO simple, I can't find it by name on the web. So, I'll explain it. Take the rope and dbl it back on itself so you have two ends together at one end and a loop at the other end. Put the loop end around the steering wheel closest to the door (make wheels straigt, first). Then take the two loose ends and run them thru the loop around the steering wheel. Tighten up the slack on the slip loop knot. Now, pull the two ends tight away from the wheel and run the two loose ends up/out the top/front corner of the door and slam the door on the rope ends so the door will hold the rope tight. OK to let the rope ends hange out door.
Amazing, I know, but I've done it and it works flawlessly. ;)
nb
On 4/24/2013 6:42 PM, notbob wrote:

Dang, we posted about the same thing at almost the same time. ^_^
TDD
On 4/24/2013 6:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

Tow truck drivers will often tie a rope to the steering wheel and something in/on the car to let the wheel turn a little but let the caster in the steering system handle straightening the wheels out. I've seen them close the rope in the drivers side door with the steering wheel unlocked leaving enough slack to let the wheel turn a little bit. ^_^
TDD
Put the seat belt through the steering wheel and buckle it. That's what the tow truck drivers do. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I got my car stuck in the mud on my farm. Got a tractor to pull it, and a chain, but no one around to steer the car. I've tried it before by myself, and it never fails that the car decides to steer itself the wrong way. If I'm lucky, I can go 10 feet, then have to get off the tractor, turn the car's steering to get it straight, and hopefullyt go another 10 feet.
Has anyone ever found a way to lock the steering wheel so that is stays straight when you pull it? There has to be some way to do that! But I've never found out how.
On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 18:10:29 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

remove the key in North America
So, how does one remove the key and leave the shift in neutral? In North America. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

remove the key in North America
On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 21:51:34 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I can in my Ranger - but it's a standard.
If that was at all useful to the OP, he would have never posted the question, here. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I can in my Ranger - but it's a standard.
If you have a vehicle with the proper complement of pedals and not one of those two-pedal abominations, it is still possible :)
nate
On 04/24/2013 09:51 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Yup Piece of rope Tie the steering wheel to something solid to restrict it's ability to turn
Add to that towing it from the rear and then it will crab a little depending on the length of your tow line.