Touch Sensitive Switch Turning Itself On

About five years ago I built a curio cabinet for my wife with two internal puck lamps. The lamps are controlled by a small, round, dome shaped touch switch on the back of the cabinet. The switch adjusts from low, medium to high intensity with gentle touch. During the past week or so I have noticed the lamps are turned onto the low intensity without the switch being touched. We have experienced at least one brief power interruption during this period.
Has anyone had experience with these types of switches doing this? I am assuming there are no safety concerns.
RonB

Power outages will do that. I have a lamp that does that. 1 outage goes to low. 2 outages goes to medium. 3 outages goes to high. 4th outage will turn it off. When I return home lamp shows how many outages. If lamp is OFF I had 4 outages OR had NONE. ww
RonB wrote:

Did you unplug the cord from the receptacle wait couple mins. and plug back in? If not, try it.
On 5/5/2011 8:19 PM, RonB wrote:

I once had a touch lamp that would come on whenever there was a power burp. I would hear all the backup power supplies beeping their complaints about the incoming power quality at which time I would notice the touch lamp come on.
TDD

The detection has to be pretty sensitive so disruptions in the supply easily trip them. I'm not a fan myself ans we don't have any but there's nothing wrong with them other than the occasional false trip.

I'm going to assume it was power interruptions or surge, and keep an eye on it for a while. We live in a rural area where brief occurrences happen now and then. The switch really doesn't get used much unless we are looking at something in the display cabinet.
Thanks to all.
RonB
RonB wrote:

Apologies if I repeat myself but last fall one of the metal bodied end table lamps I'd installed a touch swich in maybe ten years ago began to turn off (from its highest intensity) without my touching it.
I noticed a couple of Box Elder bugs had made it inside the house again and were occasionally seen near that lamp.
I couldn't believe that a bug that small had enough body capacitance to trip the touch dimmer if it landed on the lamp body. And, I finally saw one land there without affecting the dimmer.
I finally cought one of those damn bugs affecting the dimmer. It was crawling up the brass bulb socket shell and when it reached the top one of its front feet touched the top of the lamp bulb's screw base which was just barely visible at the top of the socket shell.
So, what was happening was that the bug was creating a resistive path between the metal lamp body and one side of the ac line. (Which side of the line depended on which way the non polarized line cord was plugged into the wall outlet.) And that was more than enough to trip the dimmer.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On 5/7/2011 3:51 PM, jeff_wisnia wrote:

And nobody without your sig block would have had the patience, curiosity, and expertise, to figger all that out.....
Good going. It is nice to know some people just can't let a mystery remain unsolved.
--
aem sends....