(totally OT for home repair) train horn codes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czCabxMIKz8

Long, long, short, long. Why do trains blow a morse code letter Q?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:05:40 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:

"Approaching public grade crossing". Remember Google is your friend! Duh! http://trn.trains.com/en/Railroad%20Reference/ABCs%20of%20Railroading/2006/05/Whistle%20signals.aspx
On 1/15/2014 9:13 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

Thanks, totally interesting.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 01/15/2014 08:23 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Somewhere around 1975 I picked up a hitch-hiker who was the very last of the breed. He had been a telegrapher for the rail-road.
I feel like it must have been a million years ago. Telegraphers and hitch-hikers are such a thing of the past.
Since I am an amateur radio operator I was quite interested. I know Morse code. The thing is, the RR telegraphers used American Morse.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Morse_code
Most common is International Morse code
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code
On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 06:13:45 -0800 (PST), Bob_Villa

The train here only uses a short blast and the neighbors bitch about that. After bedtime they don't sound the horn at all. This line has a very low speed limit (~15) so you have plenty of time to see the train coming.
On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 12:06:01 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

We had a fairly active rail crossing behind our house. The blasts varied a lot (by engineer, we supposed). There were no pattern to their blasts but there were definite "signatures". One would lay on it for the entire way between two crossings; very annoying at 2:00AM.