totally OT

Page 1 of 2

This is waaaaaaay off topic, but I have a question for those who may be in the know. We were talking about a recent auction in our area. (central US ) A gentleman from from England bought an old antique tractor, not running. How much would it cost to transport a non- running tractor to the coast, and then overseas to England? some people have waaaaaay too much money. thanks in advance
nefletch wrote:

Any idea of the make and model of tractor? The older tractors generally weren't that big. Hauling a steamer would be another matter.
no idea, except that it was very old, and very rare. the rumor is that he paid close to a million for it.

heh...if you can drop a million then who cares about shipping cost?
must be nice...

re: "if you can drop a million then who cares about shipping cost?"
Ya know, I've heard this argument before and it just dosen't make sense to me.
Just because a person spent some given amount on an item, I don't see how that says anything about the availability of other funds.
If I go out and buy a Rolls Royce, does that automatically mean I can afford a driver for it - or even the gas?
If I buy a water front mansion, does that automatically mean I can afford to furnish it?
Spending $1MM on a tractor doesn't mean the person has unlimited assets.
My other favorite is:
"If you have to ask, you can't afford it."
BS! *I* have to ask because I want to know if I am spending my money wisely. Just because the price is high doesn't mean it is (or isn't) a good *value*. That's why I'd ask before just handing over a blank check for anything.

I get your point but...I spend a million on an antique tractor, not exactly a necessity item, so I have at least a million dollars at my disposal. Shipping is a consideration, but even if it cost $10,000 to ship, compared to a million that only 1% of the cost...not to bad.

Do you ever watch Jackson/Barrett car auctions? There are people to whom a million dollars is nothing. Nor is paying $300,000 for a charity auction car. Nor is it selling a car that cost $100,000 to restore for $70,000. The auction gets 10% on top of the selling price, and then there are sales taxes and all sorts of fees and stuff that can easily raise the price 15%. They show their name tag and sign their purchase contract, and have another sip of cognac.
I have tickets for the $140,000 million PowerBall tonight. If I hit it, I think I just might be tempted to go out and make some "irrational" purchases. Nothing in the high dollar variety, but with what I'd end up with after taxes, I'd have a lot for low dollar items, that being $25,000 and the like.
First would be some extensive remodeling. I really like where I live, and would not consider moving. However, a seasonal house in Kauai would not be out of the question.
Steve
DerbyDad03 wrote:

The standard answer - If you have to ask, you can't afford it (and you shouldn't buy it).

I get your point but...I spend a million on an antique tractor, not exactly a necessity item, so I have at least a million dollars at my disposal. Shipping is a consideration, but even if it cost $10,000 to ship, compared to a million that only 1% of the cost...not to bad.

why do I keep saying this?

I get your point but...I spend a million on an antique tractor, not exactly a necessity item, so I have at least a million dollars at my disposal. Shipping is a consideration, but even if it cost $10,000 to ship, compared to a million that only 1% of the cost...not to bad.

re: "compared to a million that only 1% of the cost...not to bad."
Unless I only had $1,010,000.
Then it's 100% of what I have left.

Yeah...we all have problems.
nefletch wrote:

After it's packaged, figure $6/100 pounds to get it from Missouri to an east-coast port. Less than that to get it to the UK. Say it weighs two tons. $240 to get it to Norfolk, VA, another couple hundred to get it to England. From Portsmouth I guess he can drive it home.
These rates are from years ago and may have doubled or tripled since. But they won't be magnitudes greater.

On a million dollar tractor? Peanuts

$3.00

It's much more than transporting a running tractor, which you can drive to Newfoundland and then to England.
You can even plow along the way to defray expenses.
I'm shocked you know Newfoundland

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 06:20:18 -0330, "don &/or Lucille"
I even know of Prince Edward Island.

A friend of mine bought a tractor, used. Drove it home (summer time) and it ran about 15 MPH on the open road, in road gear.
This case, it would have to be loaded onto a trailer. As to the oveseas shipping, no idea where to start looking.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus