totally OT

This is waaaaaaay off topic, but I have a question for those who may be in the know. We were talking about a recent auction in our area. (central US ) A gentleman from from England bought an old antique tractor, not running. How much would it cost to transport a non- running tractor to the coast, and then overseas to England? some people have waaaaaay too much money. thanks in advance

Reply to
nefletch

Any idea of the make and model of tractor? The older tractors generally weren't that big. Hauling a steamer would be another matter.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

no idea, except that it was very old, and very rare. the rumor is that he paid close to a million for it.

Reply to
nefletch

After it's packaged, figure $6/100 pounds to get it from Missouri to an east-coast port. Less than that to get it to the UK. Say it weighs two tons. $240 to get it to Norfolk, VA, another couple hundred to get it to England. From Portsmouth I guess he can drive it home.

These rates are from years ago and may have doubled or tripled since. But they won't be magnitudes greater.

Reply to
HeyBub

"nefletch" wrote in news:f6idnX_LhY75RPXWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.mobiuscommunications:

$3.00

Reply to
Stepfann King

It's much more than transporting a running tractor, which you can drive to Newfoundland and then to England.

You can even plow along the way to defray expenses.

Reply to
mm

I think semis with flatbeds run about $2.50 per loaded mile but I could be way off. Livestock haulers get around $3.00, I guess. I'd want an enclosed trailer for the million dollar tractor though. There is a million dollar tractor here:

The article is over 5 years old.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

It cost the same with a tractor that doesn't run as it would for a tractor that does run, unless you plan on driving the tractor to the coast. :)

Reply to
Metspitzer

Its not that much, the US exports loads of industrial equipment and we import loads of cars and heavy equipment, its an antique probably a good investment.

Reply to
ransley

When I worked overseas 20 years ago, our supply guy told me that the company was charged shipping per container no matter how much it weighed or what, besides hazardous material, was in it. I imagine that after trucking the tractor to an Eastern port, it could be loaded into a container for a sea voyage. In fact, it could be shipped all the way in a container, truck to cargo ship without exposure to the elements. A 20' container shipped from The US to The UK would probably cost a few thousand dollars. This is a guess based on a little web searching.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Reply to
don &/or Lucille

A friend of mine bought a tractor, used. Drove it home (summer time) and it ran about 15 MPH on the open road, in road gear.

This case, it would have to be loaded onto a trailer. As to the oveseas shipping, no idea where to start looking.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

GI's send cars across the pond all the time. That tractor isn't much heavier than a car or suv.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I have a question for

re: "GI's send cars across the pond all the time."

I had a GI friend whose orders were taking him from CA to NY. They would pay for his plane ticket and ship his household belongings, but they wouldn't ship his car.

He put the numbers together and showed them that it would be cheaper to let him move himself. They accepted his numbers and authorized the move.

He rented a fairly large truck, filled his car to max, loaded the car

*into the truck* and then packed the rest of his household belongings around it.

In the end, the Army paid to move everything.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Suspect driving the truck containing the tractor from US to UK will prove interesting in this case... :)

Cost me (well, actually seller as was part of the deal) $800 to ship a

12000# 40-ft boom lift from Chicago area to SW KS about 6 years ago. How much difference for the less weight and assuming also split load no clue altho I'd thing fuel surcharges now vs then would probably make up a chunk of it anyway...

Also no real clue about the cost of overseas. If don't care how long it takes, probably not terribly expensive but if spent kind of $$ already OP implies, probably going to want to make sure it goes in a protected manner (which equates to $$)...

WAG of $2-5K range...

--

Reply to
dpb

I still need to do things the other direction, and bring a bunch of stuff over from the UK - I talked to a few shipping companies and they all wanted about $3000 for it (but that included pickup at the storage site in the UK and drop-off to where I wanted in the US). This wasn't for a huge amount of stuff, maybe 1/3 of a 40' shipping container, but there are lots of heavy things.

I suspect there might be easier routes if moving a single item such as a vehicle, though.

(I'd heard before that some companies go by weight, others by volume - but when I looked around it seemed to all be done on weight alone these days)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

"nefletch" wrote in news:OPGdnSHlZJsAQvXWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.mobiuscommunications:

heh...if you can drop a million then who cares about shipping cost?

must be nice...

Reply to
kpg

snipped-for-privacy@posted.mobiuscommunications:

re: "if you can drop a million then who cares about shipping cost?"

Ya know, I've heard this argument before and it just dosen't make sense to me.

Just because a person spent some given amount on an item, I don't see how that says anything about the availability of other funds.

If I go out and buy a Rolls Royce, does that automatically mean I can afford a driver for it - or even the gas?

If I buy a water front mansion, does that automatically mean I can afford to furnish it?

Spending $1MM on a tractor doesn't mean the person has unlimited assets.

My other favorite is:

"If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

BS! *I* have to ask because I want to know if I am spending my money wisely. Just because the price is high doesn't mean it is (or isn't) a good *value*. That's why I'd ask before just handing over a blank check for anything.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m31g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

I get your point but...I spend a million on an antique tractor, not exactly a necessity item, so I have at least a million dollars at my disposal. Shipping is a consideration, but even if it cost $10,000 to ship, compared to a million that only 1% of the cost...not to bad.

Reply to
kpg

The standard answer - If you have to ask, you can't afford it (and you shouldn't buy it).

Reply to
Bob F