Totaline thermostat problem

I have a Totaline P274-1200 Gold series programmable thermostat connected to a Luxaire heat pump system with 2 stage heat/1 state cooling and have run across a problem.
When the thermostat is in Auto mode, i.e. able to switch between heating and cooling, the indoor unit will shut down but the outdoor unit will keep running, sometimes so much the lines freeze up.
When I have the thermostat in cooling mode, i.e. it only switches on A/C and not heat, the outside unit will shut off like it should. It doesn't seem to do this in heating mode though.
I tried duplicating this for the A/C technician and it didn't happen so he couldn't tell what was going on. It also seems to happen more at night than during the day. The technician checked the A/C equipment and it was working fine, so he suspected the thermostat, which we had before the new A/C equipment was installed.
The thermostat is out of warranty and frankly, I don't want to spend another $170+ on a new one and was wonding if there was something else I'm overlooking. I looked on Totaline's website and couldn't find anything regarding this problem.
If anyone has any ideas, they'd be appreciated.
Thanks.

there is a pdf troubleshooting guide available. http://www.totaline.com/corp/details/0,2938,CLI1_DIV38_ETI7381,00.html
bottom of the page. Troubleshooting Gold Stats (and Signature P374-0000, 0100, 0200, 0300) Click here.
I think your looking at a wiring problem.
I never use the auto feature. My experience is that they do not work correctly. Then again the stat could have crapped.
begin 666 spacer.gif M1TE&.#EA`0`!`)'_`/___P```/___P```"'_"T%$3T)%.DE2,2XP`M[M`"'Y 6! $```(`+ `````!``$```("5 $`.P`` ` end