Total Protect

Got an offer from my mortgage company for a home warranty, company name id Total Protect or Home Sure in some states. Is anyone familiar with these? My home came with American Home Shield and it was not worth the paper was printed on. The parts it actually covered was very small. Would like to hear from some people who have dealings with this company.

Reply to
TigerPaw40

They all work on the same principle. If you feel you need a home warranty you're probably not qualified to own one in the 1st place.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

The main benefit of a home warranty is that the company selling it makes a profit.

What is the premium? Put that money into a savings or investment account and over the years, it will be more than you'd be getting back from the insurance company. Use that fund for your "covered" repairs. Five years from now you'll be very happy. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The same with auto insurance and extended warrantees, except auto insurance, and home insurance on a financed home, is mandatory in most states. No one needs any insurance, until they do need it, unless you're rich enough not to need it, but then you have to post a bond.

Reply to
willshak

Most states require insurance to register an auto. Same applies for collision insurance though, for most of us. If I banked the premiums I'd be way ahead. In the case of liability loss though, that could be tremendous.

In the case of house insurance, a heater can last for 20 or 30 or more years. The replacement can be covered by the homeowner much easier than a $1million liability in a car crash.

Bank those house premiums and they YOU get to pick the heater if it needs replacing, not the cheapest available that the insurance company will provide. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You're confusing a home warranty with homeowners insurance. The former is usually offered with a new home, and offers some protection if the builder screwed up, and something breaks within a specified time period. A home warranty is usually about as useful as an "extended warranty" on most items - it's expensive, and chances are you'll never need it. If you do need it, it probably won't give you the benefit you thought it would.

Homeowners insurance is a completely different story - it's usually mandatory if the home is mortgaged, and is protection against catastrophic damage to the house (fire, flood, major theft, etc). This kind of insurance is usually fairly cheap for the amount of coverage, and is essential unless you've got the money handy to purchase a new house on the spot if your old one burns down.

Reply to
Wumpus