Toshiba Flat Screen TV

I have a Toshiba flat screen TV which belonged to my late mother-in-law. It is only just over a year old (LCD I believe). Tonight the volume just quit on me - all channels. Any ideas, suggestions?

Reply to
Ultraglide

Is it on a cable box? If so, make sure it is not set to "mute". Same with the TV

Then, RTFM .. The sound may be muted. Press VOLUME. .. If you hear no sound, try setting the MTS feature to Stereo mode (? page 39). .. If you are not receiving a second audio program from a known SAP source, make sure the MTS feature is set to SAP mode (? page 39).

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It may still be under warranty. Call the Geek Squad where it was purchased.

Reply to
Sonny

I checked the TV controller and the cable box controller, both were not muted. In fact the only controller I had near me was the cable box one but I was not touching it at the time. I tried it on our other cable box-equipped TV. Works find. I don't know if we have the manual. What is (? page 39)? Is that a reference to the manual? Could one be available online?

Reply to
Ultraglide

Is there a language choice somewhere? I once accidently hit the button to change the language and there was no sound on the language choice that I hit, and so there was no sound. I made a call to the cable company and they suggested to me to try to change the language, I did, and the sound came right back on.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Search google.com for Toshiba... ...and you get this...

Then click on Consumer Products, then on LCD TV's... ...and you get this...
Then click on Customer Support and you get this...
Then I would bet if you entered your model number, you might be able to find the instructions?

Reply to
Bill

Thanks for the info. Strangely enough the volume was back when I tried it today. I will see if it goes off when used for an extended time. In that case I would assume that it is definitely a problem with the set's audio components.

Reply to
Ultraglide

On ours, there's a control to turn off the speakers and route sound only to the external amp connection -- could that be it?

Reply to
cjt

If all else fails, you may want to consider resetting to the factory defaults. If the user has customized many of the settings, first slog through the various menus and with pad and paper write down every setting so that they may be easily set back after the reset.

The instruction manual for my Toshiba LCD HDTV says, "To reset all settings and channels to their factory default settings:

  1. From the SETUP menu, highlight installation and press enter on the remote. A new set of installation menu icons will appear.
  2. Open the SYSTEM STATUS menu, highlight SYSTEM INFORMATION and press enter on the remote.
  3. Press the left and/or right scroll arrows on the remote through the menu bar to select FACTORY DEFAULTS.
  4. Enter your PIN code (or 0000 if no PIN code has been set).

  1. Highlight YES and press enter on the remote. The TV will turn off automatically after a few seconds. After the TV turns off, unplug the TV power cord and then plug it in again to complete the reset process."

Sort of like a cold reboot with a computer I guess.

Reply to
Peter

One word of advice: The factory defaults may be what is known in the retail biz as "Torch Mode", which set the picture overly bright and vivid so the picture will look it's best in a store with lots of very bright florescent lighting to compete with. It is far from the best setting for viewing in normal environs, such as your home.

Reply to
salty

We've had this on our cable system here at home. By unplugging the CABLE box and then replugging it in, the sound returns.

Nonny

Reply to
Nonnymus

The sound came back on the next day and has been OK since. I have another TV with the same cable box so if it ever happens again I will just switch boxes or just hook the TV straight to the cable line to determine whether it is the box or the TV. Just a note, the other TV was working fine when everything happened.

Reply to
Ultraglide