Torx security t-20 Question

Have run into these a couple of times. I have the proper tool. But on the part I am working on it seems as if both bolts have the Torx t-20 head, but it looks like one bolt has some sort of gray cap that fits in the head that prevents me from getting the bit into the slots. The other bolt had no such covering and came right off.....

Anyone know about this. I don't want to ruin this $300 part by screwing up the bolt....

Reply to
timbirr

Are you sure it is a cap? There are Torx security fasteners That have a pin sticking op in the middle. Sockets that have a hole to accommodate that pin are available at HD etc and auto supply stores.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

If it's a pin like Charlie suggests, that's what makes it "security". If there were nothing in the center, that would be just plain torx.

mm

Are trying to remove a MAF sensor from a Ford? If so just grab the offending bolt real good with a pair of wire cutters and twist it off. I replaced mine with another bolt from another car in the junkyard, so noe I have two without the gray crap. If you want to replace these bolts, remember they are metric stainless steel, so that's what you should use if you decide to replace them.

Reply to
scott21230

Scott, you nailed it exactly. I first ran in the T-20s repairing my microwave oven last summer, so I have the bit. It was the "filled slot" that baffled me.

After staring at the darn thing for a bit, I finally said "duh" and grabbed a small pair of locking pliers. Worked fine. Cleaned the MAF with electrical contact cleaner and the idle problem now seems to be solved.....

Reply to
timbirr