Toro Z4200 mower

I'm thinking of getting a Toro Z4200 mower.
http://www.toro.com/home/zeroturn/timecutterz/z4200.html
Does anyone here have any experience with or opinions about Toro or this mower in particular?
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

On 8/9/2007 6:09 AM, Vic Dura wrote:

it -- added a Briggs for about $10. Added armrests about $80. Instead of the ~$175 mulch kit replaced the discharge chute with the mulch cover plate as a repair item at $16. The deck is easy enough to adjust without the foot assist.
I think Toro got a little chintsy with the rear wheels. They're too small and narrow for my liking. A wider wheel and tire would help with traction. They spin a bit but the non-aggressive tread doesn't tear up too much turf (St Augustine).
There's a little forward 'creep' in the controls ie. if you let go one arm and control with the other, the uncontrolled arm will creep forward, speeding up the wheel on that side. As long as you're aware of this it's not a problem. You just have to be fast reaching to scratch your nose. I think the gas shocks on the controls cause this. I haven't attempted to adjust this out until after break-in.
Forget the drink holder. Too much vibration. I've never lost anything out of the tool tray, though. Even an empty pack of cigarettes. That's not to say enough wind wouldn't blow it out.
The washout port is convenient, if you're cutting damp grass. Sometimes it's cut it damp or not at all.
Two things it should have are a pivoting front axle and center anti scalp roller for the deck. I'm adding the roller shortly.
With the low center of gravity it's great on cross slopes. Within reason, of course. ZTRs can get squirrelly on slopes -- the swiveling front wheels make it so. Sometimes you find yourself crabbing along the ditchline. I think there's at least one mower that has a locking front wheel but the name escapes me at the moment. (One of the John Deere walk behinds?)
For some reviews and comparisons with other mowers check out:
        www.greenerchoices.org
All in all, I'm very satisfied with this mower. The 14.5/40 Murray and the 20/46 John Deere Scotts hydro sit in the shed (both conventional tractor mowers). I also use a 48" Scag Tiger Cub at the lake -- twice the Toro at more than twice the price.
--
Ted
I wasn\'t born in Texas but
wrote Re Re: Toro Z4200 mower:

Thanks very much for the detailed report Ted. I appreciate it very much.
Regards, Vic Dura in the Heart Of Dixi
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.