Toro snowthrower-won't

I've got a 10 year old Toro, 5hp, two stage snowthrower and the auger has stopped working. Fortunately it happened when I was almost done with the driveway. If I engage the auger, neither blade turns but the engine lets out a loud squeal and will die it I leave it engaged for more than a second or two. Obviously, the belt must be trying to turn since the engine lugs down. I visually inspected the auger and nothing seems to be jammed in either blade. Any ideas? I replaced the belt two years ago.
Shut motor off. Try to turn auger by hand (or by wooden prybar). My telepsychic Chia Pet tells me that you have got a very large expense in your near future. Either that or you ran over a stick, and got the auger caught.
Oh, hang on.
<AAAAUUUGGGGHHHH>
Had to chase away that awful little voice in my head. Kept telling me that you have a stick caught in the auger. That Chia Pet keeps lying to me. I shoulda got a Chia Head instead. Head. Instead. Red. I'll quit now.
--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

second
Perhaps the belt jumped one of the pulleys and thus is jamming up the works when you try to engage it.

Exactly the same thing happened to my 5hp MTD. I put a long pry bar against the auger and gently worked it back and forth until I got it to turn about 3/4 turn. I then tried running it again. I got lucky. The auger abruptly started running and two small stones shot out the chute (bounced all over the garage). They were jammed behind the auger and my prying loosened them. Don't know if this is your problem or if you will have my good luck but it's worth trying. Don't force the auger too much, though.
My Father had this happen to his MTD. I found out that he had a stone jammed in the Impeller (just behind the auger blades). I just turned the impeller blade backwards and the stone fell out. The belt had to be replaced since he tried to use the engine to get the auger to spin.
Just my 2 cents... Good luck!

Remove NoSpam to reply, Thanks
On 30 Jan 2004 01:32:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comNo.Spam (Kahlua53) wrote:

Yeah, that's what happened to mine, too, and that's what I meant to post in this thread earlier today: *impeller,* not the auger. The impeller.

Thanks for the advice so far and I'm making progress.
Using a piece of wood and hammer I got the impeller to turn but the auger still won't budge. I'm afraid to use too much force because won't I just break the sheer-pins or should I just get a bigger pry bar? Part of the problem is it's been below zero for a week straight and I'm sick so I had to limit my time screwing with the thing.
Just to recap: still having the same problem. When I engage the auger drive it bogs down the engine and will die if I keep it engaged for more than a second or two.
(Kahlua53) wrote:

the auger

The belt had

spin.
auger has

with >the

engine lets

a second

engine lugs

jammed in

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice, my Toro is working again, just in time for another snowstorm expected tonight. Apparently, I had a double whammy. Not only was something jammed in the impeller but the auger also froze. We've had a bit of a warm-up so I got out there with my trusty Milwaukee heat gun and after ten minutes the auger loosened up. Bring on the snow-again!
Thanks again!

drive