Toro CRC 2450 snow blower

Hello All,

This winter I've been having some problems with this snow blower. It's about 10 years old. Have never done any service on it. Did check the spark plug this summer but it looked good so I didn't replace it.

It starts fine. The problem is loss of power. It just doesn't have the power to work correctly.

Got a new batch of 93 octane gas tonight thinking maybe it was bad. Problem persists. I also replaced the spark plug about two weeks ago.

I'm wondering if it needs a top end repair. Just had a top end repair on my Honda CR250 moto cross bike this summer.

Do 2 stroke Toro snow blowers need top end repairs after 10 years of usage?

I'm kinda betting on it.

I did try running it without the gas cap thinking of air blockage.

In the past this thing works great. Goes through anything.

Any input? And if it does need to be repaired any guess on the cost?

Thanks

Reply to
Brent Bolin

Did it fail suddenly, or has it been getting weaker gradually. If suddenly, maybe a sticking valve,

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi, My guess is you have fuel delivery problem. Too rich or lean. My Toro is older than yours. Still runs OK.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Speaking of air, have you checked the air cleaner? Maybe try it for a couple minutes without the air cleaner to see what happens. You might also try running some carburetor cleaner through it.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Brent Bolin wrote in news:c9800575-d9d0-43e3- snipped-for-privacy@z41g2000yqz.googlegroups.com:

By any RARE chance did it begin after adding gas that was never used in it before? Maybe gas that was E85? May not even be available in your state.

Not sure how current or accurate this is.

Red Green

Clean exhaust,Tighten head, base and case bolts, Clean carb by disassembly (not carb cleaner spray or additive), replace fuel line and make sure tank is clean. Since it starts right up, it probably isn't a compression issue, so teh top end is probably ok.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

-snip-

-snip-

Personally I go straight from 'try a spray carb cleaner and run a tank of treated gas' to "Replace the Carb".

has a carb for $50 or so - You can futz for days and end up buying a carb anyway-- just buy it first and read a book for 2 days while it is en route.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

When you say no power what happens, it it running full rpm 3600? Does the carb power circuit not keep it ful rpm under load? As a carb gets varnished up it can be necessary to adjust the air mix. A weak , going bad electronic ignition module will make it not have full power and thats comon. A compression test will tell you what life is left before wasting alot of time. 10 years if alot of snow was done is alot.

Reply to
ransley

Mines a lot older...no issues. See if you have a fuel filter between the tank and carb...mine does and I replace it every 5 years or so.

And make sure the drive belt isn't slipping. You can adjust the tensioner, but after 10 years probably ready for a new belt anyway.

HTH,

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

A lot of people are replying with "check carb". This is a 2 stroke, there is no carb. There is a reed valve I suspect.

Yes I can see maybe cleaning the exhaust filter, didn't think of that. It's interesting the same poster mentioned tightening head bolts. I have seen some oil/water spillage after it is put away and snow melt in the garage.

Will also check if there is a fuel filter, I didn't see one when I pulled the skins off this last summer. Also didn't see any kind of air filter believe it or not.

Will take a look at things again this weekend when I have some time off. You know things always seem to break when you need them. Chicago is getting dumped on at the moment.

This snow blower is a real work horse and I want to keep it. Wasn't sure about the rebuild frequency for 2 stroke small engines.

Little more info about the symptoms. It starts right up. It doesn't seem to go to full RPM. When you try to blow snow it just bogs down. It doesn't sound like an ignition problem.

Thanks gang...

Reply to
Brent Bolin

Did you put 2 stroke oil in the gas? If not, you burned it up.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

There is no carb, thats a joke , right. If you think that you dont have a clue and wont be able to diagnose anything. So , check carburator to see if choke releases and adjust needle valves to get it to run 3600 rpm, start by turning the high speed needle valve in to see if rpm increases, then adjust it slowly.

Reply to
ransley

-snip-

Got a model number on the snowblower? My Toro 38170 is 2 stroke and took a 640086A carb a few years ago when it did just what yours is doing. It recovered when I put a new carb on. There are no visible adjustments on the card-- but there is a needle valve, seat and some ball valves under some Welch plugs, if I remember right. [I tried to rebuild 2 carbs that winter-- then I saw how cheap a new one was & tossed them.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

The Toro site has exploded parts diagrams for all the models. I think you have to get to the parts section..takes a little hunting around.

If you end up needing parts, Sohar RCPW online

) stocks tons of parts. They had the gas tank for my 20+ year old toro in stock.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

My two stroke Toro doesn't have air cleaner. Figures that all the dirt is under snow, so the air is clean in the winter.

Try replace the spark plug anyway. Any brand except Champion, they had some quality problems. Most likely a carb problem, they clog easily and run lean. My snow blower, I was forced to install a fuel filter, the tank was full of specks of black stuff floating around.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've heard terrible things about the new ethanol blend. In my vehicles, it gets lower mileage. Might also under power your snow blower. E-85 is useless, except for cars totally designed for E-85.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Mine needed a belt, after I tangled some wire in the auger. Locally, the belt was $15, but I found em online cheaper. Ah, well. Everything cheaper online.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I wish to inform you that two stroke Toro engines have carbs. I know; I've dissembled and cleaned mine several times.

No such device as "exhaust filter".

"When you try to blow snow, it bogs down" could easily be ignition problem.

Have a nice day!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Very likely to be fuel problems, or partial blockage of carb jet. That's what it sounds like, from here. Hope that wasn't a Champion plug. They have had quality problems.

I'd start by replacing the fuel filter, or install one if it doesn't yet have one. Dissemble, and clean the carb. Paying attention to the metering jet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Go digging for the engine manual online (google suggests it's a CCR 2450, not CRC as per subject) - there's probably a troublshooting section and routine maintenance section in it.

It's probably due a fuel filter replacement if it has one. But it might need other things after ten years, too (the B+S engine in my mower needs head bolt torque checking after every 100 hours, for instance, and there are various carb adjustments to check)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules