Toro / Briggs&Stratton Stuck Oil Filler Cap

I have a brand new (less than 2 hours use) Toro Super Recycler lawn mower with a stuck oil filler cap. This model 20038 has a Briggs & Stratton 6.75 OHV engine and this is supposed to be Toro's top-of-the-line walk-behind commercial quality mower.

Top-of-the-line, my foot. A few minutes after breaking in, the oil started bubbling through the filler opening because the cap worked itself loose. I stopped the engine and gently hand-tightened the cap.

Now I can't open the damn thing. The cap seems to be stuck in the filler neck. I can loosen the cap by turning it counter-clockwise, and tighten it by turning it clockwise, but I can't get it off. It seems the inner lip of the oil cap is stuck at the filler neck.

I have 3 options:

  1. Use force to turn the cap counter-clockwise
  2. Use force to pull the cap straight up with a Vise Grip
  3. Gently pound the thing with a rubber mallet and do 1 or 2

I should have gone for the Honda. Since I'm stuck with this lemon, I would appreciate any help on how to remove this stuck oil filler cap.

Thanks much,

ftt

Reply to
Filipo

Brand new - 2 hours use - does taking it back come into play?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

if you bought it from home depot then bring it back... i bought mine from a local lawnmower/bicycle shop (small place) and have had it for about 4 years and no problems.... it was ready to go when the guy brought it to the house in his pickup as it would not fit i my car trunk(about a 10 block distance).. i probably paid a little more getting it there but i was also told that if you have any troubles with it let us know and we will pick it up... that was 4 yrs. ago and never had a problem with it... either they had too much oil in it or you put the oil in and there was too much... the oil fill knob has to be shoved down and then turned... probably have it screwed up and that is why its not turning.....

Reply to
jim

You get no help because you're flipped out. what a dumb thing troll.

Reply to
mark Ransley

I had the same problem so I put my oil in the gas

Reply to
mark Ransley

Looks like you found a forum that needed an asshole and promptly solved the problem

Reply to
eskiejake

replying to eskiejake, Bobby wrote: It took you 14 years to come up with that witty reply? me thinks you are a little slow.

Reply to
Bobby

replying to Filipo, kris sorenson wrote: I cant believe it but I have same problem with new push mower about 3 hours old. Tried to take oil cap off and will not budge and when I turned it clockwise, yes it moved and tightened more. Briggs and Stratton make enough money can they not get something better as an oil cap/stick? Im sooooo frustrated, ready to for real throw it off the boat landing.

Reply to
kris sorenson

Push down and turn

Reply to
Mark

Yeah, the little buggers tell each other how to do petrol sniffing in preschool now.

Reply to
Rod Speed