Toro 724 snowblower friction drive replacement

I have a Toro 724 snow blower that just gave up on driving in second and low gear. Looking at it I figure the friction drive wheel is worn out and I purchased a new one today but I fear I may not be able to figure out replacement methods.

Anyone done this replacement and have some tips or could direct me to a source for information,

Thanks,

Gene

Reply to
Happy Go Lucky

Hey Gene I have replaced those before. It might help if you go to toros home page they have schematics and diagrams free of charge in pdf form. Very helpful for getting a part number to. You will need to flip the machine up on it's front end or lift it up on jack stands under the axles. If you flip it up first pull the starter through till you feel the point with most resistance. You want all your valves closed so the exhaust and carb arent drenched in gas and oil. Remove the lower pan bolts. inspect the disk for excessive wear. Also dont forget to check the bushings the shaft rides on. I have had to replace those before. They act up early when you put it in reverse it slips. Works in all forward gears but slips in reverse. After awhile it can affect all the gears. To get the clutch out takes time. Usually have to remove a lower jackshaft or disconnect a chain on the older ones. No special tools are required just some elbow grease and time. Good luck.

Reply to
conan

Oh I forgot one thing. Check the tension on the clutch handle. Follow the linkage down the handle. you should see a adjustment for the clutch and the auger. Put a few turns on it and see if that solves the problem. Clutch disks wear over time however you should be able to make small tweaks to it over the years. If this works take the friction wheel back and buy a cup of coffee and give yourself a pat on the back. regards

Reply to
conan