Toro 521 Snow Thrower has problem starting up

I have a Toro 521 Snow thrower model 38052. My problem is that my machine, needs to have me press the Primer button every 2 seconds for over 5 minutes to let the machine start up. I know to have the machine start with full choke and the machine on fast.
Is there something I can adjust so I don't have to do this. What happens is, if I don't do this, the machine dies. However, it is easy to start and will continue to run, as long as I keep pressing the Primer button.
The next problem is that after a while of running, it starts to need me to press the primer button again, or it will stall. So I end up having to have the machine rest for an hour.
FYI, I have had this winterized every year, and this problem has been occurring for 2 years. I am mad, because the repairman says, that since the problem does not occur in the warmer weather, when I get it "pre-tuned" for season, that there is nothing I can do.
If I try to get it tuned in the cold weather, it could take weeks to get the machine back.
So my solution is to have someone tell me, if there is some how, a way to get more fuel to the machine, so the Primer does not have to be pressed. I counted how many times it takes. It takes over 300 times of pressing the Primer button to finally warm the machine up, so it will continue.
Thanks much,
Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address: snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net
NOTE: My web home page: www.seldin.net
I think its a problem with your french press coffee machine, Lawrence. The water isn't hot enough.
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Sounds like it is too lean and you need to learn how to adjust the carb. If you do not have the manual, download any manuals you can find from Toro. They have a manual for mine from 1979, so they should have one for yours.
You want to open the needle valve enough that it keeps running more quickly after it starts, and just enough to not bog down to much when pushed into the snow. If it is a 2-cycle engine and set too rich (blubbers when warmed up instead of running smoothly), it may foul the spark plug with oil.
Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC wrote:

I found out how, I got an electric model. Starts first time every time.
Also a good excuse not to do a neighbors drive while they are away. The cord won't stretch. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
It isnt getting enough gas, it could be an air leak on the carb manifold, mixture is set to lean, a sticking float or dirty jet, and you have a crummy mechanic.

David,
The power adjusting screw needed to be adjusted. Now, it works fine.
Thank you very much...
Some followup questions....
1) There is something called the "Fuel Shut-off valve. Obviously, needs to be "on" when machine is running. Should I keep it "off" when machine is not in use?
2) It seems that I can never keep choke off, or even at 1/2 choke to keep running. If this is not okay, what should I adjust...
Here are terms that I have in my booklet. Maybe you could use these terms, if necessary...
- Power adjusting screw. - Idle Mixtture screw - Idle speed screw. - Full choke, half choke & choke off - Primer button. - Full throttle
Thank you for your help and patience....
Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address: snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net
NOTE: My web home page: www.seldin.net
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005, Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Usually best to turn fuel off and let it run until it quits (once adjusted to keep running normally). That minimizes amount of fuel remaining in carb. (and deposits that can plug ports and make float sticky).

You may need to adjust higher idle speed and/or idle mixture to get it to idle without stalling. For higher speed under a load (when blowing snow) adjust power adjusting screw (see below).

open choke. Adjust to fastest, smoothest speed with no load, then slightly richer (counterclockwise), so it does not bog too much or stall when blowing snow.

increases idle speed.

Half choke up to few minutes, long enough to not stall when opened wide.

Label on the blower should tell how many times to pump it.

M Ransley,
Crummy mechanic.... Agreed...(ha,ha).
- Larry

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address: snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net
NOTE: My web home page: www.seldin.net
David,
Your advice was right on the money.
Having paid someone else to maintain the snow thrower, is frustrating, when I end up having to fix it myself.
Much appreciated for your knowledgeable comments.
- Larry