Top vs Front load water extraction and dry times

We have owned front loaders for about 1-1/2 years after 40 years with top loaders. My guess is the front loaders use more time to wash and dry but I cannot quantify. The new machines have timer displays that estimate wash/dry time when you start a load and then they count down. But we have noticed, especially with the dryer, that, sometimes, the last part of a load counts down much quicker than the estimate. In other words, the last 15 minutes might only take 8-10 minutes.

We have also noticed that when the dryer stops, it is done. No throwing a towel or sweatshirt back in to finish. Wash and dry quality is better than the older machines - but they were older.

One thing for certain. The top load washer uses less water and combined they use less energy. After two month it was pretty clear that our water and electric bills were lower. There isn't much variance in use because it is wife and I and we are retired.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

In the last paragraph, I think you mean front loader washer???

Reply to
Doug

:

Ron's comments in the paragraph that you responded to last was that front loaders use less water. He didn't appear to compare spin speeds or water extraction capabilities, at least not in that last paragraph.

How do the new top loaders compare to front loaders as far as water usage? Do they use as much as the older top loaders or considerably less?

I know that there is at least one top loader with a horizontal drum, which would compare to a front loaders from a water usage perspective, but my question is about the "normal" new top loaders.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

te:

front loaders use far less water:) at the expense of reability and repair costs.....

Reply to
bob haller

Not so. The comment wasn't just a reply to the last paragraph, but in any case, *from* the last paragraph, "combined they use less energy"...

The lower energy consumption comes primarily because of the better water extraction with the high-speed spin cycles. The better top-loaders also have high-speed spin cycles.

The agitator-less use less water, but more than a typical front-loader. Unless your water costs are very high, I don't see this as a big advantage.

Understood. Define "normal". ;-)

Reply to
krw

The Whirpool Cabrio is a counterexample. It's a top-loader (agitatorless) with high-speed spin cycles, with the repair costs of a front-loader. :-(

Reply to
krw

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I will keep my 20 year old Inglis top loader. It's easy and inexpensive to repair and the extra water extraction does not offer enough savings. Water is not metered here so that is not an issue although I conserve in other areas. Surprisingly, at 3 loads per week my estimated electric cost for drying is only $25/year (.06/kwh) so there's not much to save there.

Reply to
mark

My 3.5 yr old Whirlpool top loader has a sensor that detects how much water to use based on your load. I think it uses a lot less water than the top loaders of say 10 plus years ago but I have no stats to back that up right now.

Reply to
Doug

20 year old washer... hope you can still get parts in the years to come but at 3 loads a week, I don't blame you for keeping it. It should be a no brainer with no water metered and .06 for electric. What state do you pay just .06 for electricity? I thought Texas was the lowest or one of them but here, I have to pay around 9 or more for electricity.
Reply to
Doug

In my case, using less water is not a good thing. My GE front loader uses very little water, but leave so much soap in the clothes, that I itch when wearing them. As I've said earlier in this long thread, I now wash a load with the extra rinse and then do a complete 2nd wash (no soap, except what comes out of the clothes) with extra rinse and even with that, sometimes there is soap residue. I think it happens when one piece of clothes gets tangled in another, which happens a lot with this machine.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Are you using regular or HE detergent?

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

One vote NO for front loaders. Now, who's got the minutes of last month's meeting?

You any relation to Ron Todesco, from Rochester, NY? Used to be appliance repair and sales guy. I may have spelled his name wrong.

.

In my case, using less water is not a good thing. My GE front loader uses very little water, but leave so much soap in the clothes, that I itch when wearing them. As I've said earlier in this long thread, I now wash a load with the extra rinse and then do a complete 2nd wash (no soap, except what comes out of the clothes) with extra rinse and even with that, sometimes there is soap residue. I think it happens when one piece of clothes gets tangled in another, which happens a lot with this machine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Are you perhaps using too much soap to start with?

We have a GE front loader (9 years old) and found that the extra rinse setting took care of any leftover soap if we cut back on the initial dose. A good test is to look at the glass window during the final rinse. There should be minimal suds at that point and none showing on the window after the final spin. Water hardness will make a difference too, of course. Ours is somewhat hard (from Lake Erie); but there's no question that the clothes get clean.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

Don't know Ron. Most Todescos spell it Tedesco or the plural, Tedeschi. Actually, in Italian it means German, FWIW .... not much.

Reply to
Art Todesco

I'd have to ask him the spelling. But, it sounds like no tracable relation. Real shame, the guy in Rochester is a very nice guy. You'd do well to be related to him. Or, he's missing out on a chance to be related to you?

.

Don't know Ron. Most Todescos spell it Tedesco or the plural, Tedeschi. Actually, in Italian it means German, FWIW .... not much.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I wonder if that's what's going on with my sisters Whirlpool. When we visit and use it what we consider a normal load that we would put in our top loader comes out very damp in her front loader. Next time we are there I'll have to try spin it in two separate batches.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

O 20 year old washer... hope you can still get parts in the years to come

near Vancouver, Canada hydro electric

actually 6.8 cents lol

Reply to
mark

Our rates (GA) are $.078/kWh ($.1065 >750kWh) Summer and $.074/kWh ($.056

Reply to
krw