top of door ball bearing spring

I don't know what this is but wondering if anybody knows.
At the top of my closet doors on each door there is a ball bearing that keeps the door shut when you close it. Below the ball bearing in the door is a spring.
Does anybody know what this is called and where I can get a replacement.
I don't know what they are called but lowes and home depot sells them.
There are 2 qualities.... junk and decent ones. My builder put in junk.
You can recognize junk because the height adjustment also affects the spring pressure which is stupid.
Look for the ones where when you adjust the height the spring pressure doesn't change. Hard to explain but you will see the difference if you find them. The junk were generic brand from China, the others were a real name brand of some sort. They fit in the same holes.
The reason the spring pressure issue is important is that if you need the cheap ones adjusted low the spring is completely compacted and is unhappy and evenutually breaks the door stop.

Thanks - sounds like I had the cheap ones as my wife opened the door and the ball bearing popped out - I tried to fix it but the ball bearing keeps coming out.

You might be able to fix it temporarily by bending some of the sheet metal but it will break again. Buy one of the good ones instead.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Ball catch. Any hardware place.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Saturday, September 1, 2007 7:54:34 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Use a pair of pliers to slightly narrow the opening on the top (only) of th e round cylindrical fitting that screws into housing that's fixed in the to p of the door. You don't want to pinch the bottom as then it won't screw b ack into the door and or the ball won't fit back into fitting.

It's called a "ball catch" and any big box or hardware store will have it.
On 7/25/2014 6:22 AM, The Streets wrote:

The 2007 guy, his house burned down and he now lives in a nursing home, account of 85% second and third degree burns. But, I'm sure his estate still needs ball catches. He can put some in the ashes at the foundation of his house.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, July 25, 2014 7:19:31 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Such a positive person this day...hope your institution is treating you well!