Top-loaders the new incandescent bulb

Page 2 of 2

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704662604576202212717670514.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

You might want to ask why "Consumer Reports" tests only the models it want to test and doesn't test the models it doesn't want to test like Hilti for tools for example. Which 18 laundry models did it test? Do you have the list? I bet Speed Queen is not among them. This whole "Consumer Reports" testing BS stinks like fish in Denmark if you ask me.

Well, it's probably a somewhat misguided strategy to save energy because I've noticed that when they go too far, they end up being end run. Can't count how often I've had to double flush the high eff. toilet or buy more bulbs and fixtures for a room because CFL's in the old fixtures just aren't bright enough.
Eventually things will improve and it's actually pretty certain that front loaders are much more efficient. I could process a 20 by 24 color print in a Unidrum with 6 ozs of chemicals because it operates on principles similar to a FL washer. A tray would have taken perhaps 10 times as much chemistry. No central agitator means maybe sheets don't get swirled up into a turban as they do on uni-directional agitators.
Got a top-loader now from 1998. Hope it lasts but a front loader wouldn't be the end of the world. You just have to make sure you get all the clothes in at the start of the run.
-- Bobby G.
HeyBub wrote:

We bought a Whirlpool top loader 4 years ago that has a very small agitator at the bottom of the tub and a clear lid so you can watch the clothes being washed if you want to. It's amazing to me how that tiny agitator moves the clothes around but you can clearly see it for yourself. It also has a huge tub so you can put way more clothes in there than the old top loaders. My wife says it cleans the clothes very nicely.
<snip>
My old (high-end) Whirlpool top-loader was a fantastic machine. Worked flawlessly for years. When we moved we left the machine (working like new) and bought a Whirlpool Duet. Highly recommended from Consumer Reports. The Duet doesn't work nearly as well as my old top-loader. Besides the poor performance we had mold issues too. Now we dry the door and door seal with each wash but mold issues are common with front-loaders.
Jim
"Jim T" wrote in message
<snip>
My old (high-end) Whirlpool top-loader was a fantastic machine. Worked flawlessly for years. When we moved we left the machine (working like new) and bought a Whirlpool Duet. Highly recommended from Consumer Reports. The Duet doesn't work nearly as well as my old top-loader. Besides the poor performance we had mold issues too. Now we dry the door and door seal with each wash but mold issues are common with front-loaders.
Jim
----------------
Most front load washers have a basket clean or basket sanitize feature. This is explained in the manual. We run ours with about 4 tablespoons of bleach about every 2 months.
"The Henchman" wrote in message
<snip>
My old (high-end) Whirlpool top-loader was a fantastic machine. Worked flawlessly for years. When we moved we left the machine (working like new) and bought a Whirlpool Duet. Highly recommended from Consumer Reports. The Duet doesn't work nearly as well as my old top-loader. Besides the poor performance we had mold issues too. Now we dry the door and door seal with each wash but mold issues are common with front-loaders.
Jim
Most front load washers have a basket clean or basket sanitize feature. This is explained in the manual. We run ours with about 4 tablespoons of bleach about every 2 months.
==================== I'm not sure which basket you're talking about. The mold, I found, out was growing in the space under the door seal. Quite a bit too. You can't see it unless you pull the seal back. We tried using bleach but apparently we didn't use enough or it wasn't eliminating the mold. Now I take a towel and run it around in the space between the machine and the large round seal around the door opening. We haven't had anymore mold problems since. My sister-in-law had the same problem with her LG. She made the store give her another machine. But she's like that. I figured out what was going on.
There was some mold growing in the detergent "basket" but I figured out how to stop that too by taking the bleach and softener portion. New Duets may not do this anymore. Mine was one of the first models and may have bugs that needed to be worked out.
Jim