Top 10 Home safety hazards

According to "This Old House":
http://magazine.foxnews.com/at-home/discover-your-homes-top-10-danger-zones?intcmp=HPBucket
On 2/6/13 8:06 AM, HeyBub wrote: > According to "This Old House": > > http://magazine.foxnews.com/at-home/discover-your-homes-top-10-danger-zones?intcmp=HPBucket > > I like the one suggestion about replacing wiring just because. Forty years would be 1973. It's hard to imagine anyone doing that.
On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 05:49:51 -0600, Dean Hoffman
>On 2/6/13 8:06 AM, HeyBub wrote: >> According to "This Old House": >> >> >> > I like the one suggestion about replacing wiring just because. >Forty years would be 1973. It's hard to imagine anyone doing that.
Anything on "This old house" is geared for people with lots of money. Years ago it was a good show, now it's not worth watching unless you got tons of money and want to build the most expensive house you can. I dont watch the show anymore.
If I replace wiring, it's because it's defective, inadaquate, or poses some danger. And most of the time, it's just fine and only needs a few more circuits added. Wiring from 1973 should be pretty safe and even up to code other than maybe replacing some regular outlets with GFIs. Wiring in 73 should all have grounds and stuff.
Now if it's from the 1940's or earlier, then it might be due to replace, sepecially knob + tube wiring.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

If I recall correctly, there was a "fix" for aluminum wiring. This "fix" was nothing more than pig-tailing a small length of copper wire between the original aluminum wire and the outlet, light, stove, or whatever. Perhaps this technique used a special-purpose wire-nut to make the connection, but I do remember a platoon of electricians swarming over our condo building fiddling with all the electrical outlets.
Aside: Which of the following does not belong on the list: A. HIV B. Herpes C. A condominium D. Syphillis
Answer: D-Syphillis. You can get rid of syphillis.
Only works if you put copper pennies.... uh.... you know.
wrote in message
The problem is, there will always be some moron who plugs two 1,500 watt electric heaters into one outlet. ^_^
TDD
On 2/9/2013 5:15 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

To hold their dead eyes shut? O_o
TDD
That keeps the lights out. I was thinking to keep the lights on, until the FD arrived.