Top 10 Home safety hazards

According to "This Old House":

HeyBub

I like the one suggestion about replacing wiring just because. Forty years would be 1973. It's hard to imagine anyone doing that.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Anything on "This old house" is geared for people with lots of money. Years ago it was a good show, now it's not worth watching unless you got tons of money and want to build the most expensive house you can. I dont watch the show anymore.

If I replace wiring, it's because it's defective, inadaquate, or poses some danger. And most of the time, it's just fine and only needs a few more circuits added. Wiring from 1973 should be pretty safe and even up to code other than maybe replacing some regular outlets with GFIs. Wiring in 73 should all have grounds and stuff.

Now if it's from the 1940's or earlier, then it might be due to replace, sepecially knob + tube wiring.

Reply to
homeowner

If I recall correctly, there was a "fix" for aluminum wiring. This "fix" was nothing more than pig-tailing a small length of copper wire between the original aluminum wire and the outlet, light, stove, or whatever. Perhaps this technique used a special-purpose wire-nut to make the connection, but I do remember a platoon of electricians swarming over our condo building fiddling with all the electrical outlets.

Aside: Which of the following does not belong on the list: A. HIV B. Herpes C. A condominium D. Syphillis

Answer: D-Syphillis. You can get rid of syphillis.

Reply to
HeyBub

Only works if you put copper pennies.... uh.... you know.

.

The problem is, there will always be some moron who plugs two 1,500 watt electric heaters into one outlet. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

To hold their dead eyes shut? O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That keeps the lights out. I was thinking to keep the lights on, until the FD arrived.

.