tools needed

From the online manual for a GE gas stove about 20 years old.

TOOLS YOU WILL NEED . Phillips and flat-blade screwdrivers . Pencil and ruler . Two pipe wrenches (one for backup) . Open-end or adjustable wrench . Nut drivers or wrenches: 3/16?? and 1/4??

Why do you need a backup pipe wrench? Is one going to break? Fall in the hole?

Reply to
micky

That *could* happen--- but I suspect the second wrench is to hold the other side of the joint from turning. I 'backup' a term for that? I've never heard it-- but I've only played plumber in my own houses for the last 40 years.

Another time a second pipe wrench was handy was when I put a pipe wrench on the pipe-- then tightened a fitting above it with a crescent wrench. The pipe wrench was jammed so tight against the wall I needed another pipe wrench to ease the pressure off just a RCH to get my first wrench back. I suppose 'backup' could be used in that instance.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

The second is to hold the fitting while tightening the other half. You don't want to stress the existing connection. This is a common practice when doing certain aspects of piping.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Backup wrench is the correct term. I've seen it used many times in similar install instructions.

Reply to
trader4

Typically you use a second backup wrench with the jaws pointing opposite so torque isn't transmitted into a more fragile item such as a valve.

Reply to
George

yup, and I imagine that's exactly what it's for.

Reply to
Nate Nagel