tools needed

From the online manual for a GE gas stove about 20 years old.
TOOLS YOU WILL NEED . Phillips and flat-blade screwdrivers . Pencil and ruler . Two pipe wrenches (one for backup) . Open-end or adjustable wrench . Nut drivers or wrenches: 3/16?? and 1/4??
Why do you need a backup pipe wrench? Is one going to break? Fall in the hole?

That *could* happen--- but I suspect the second wrench is to hold the other side of the joint from turning. I 'backup' a term for that? I've never heard it-- but I've only played plumber in my own houses for the last 40 years.
Another time a second pipe wrench was handy was when I put a pipe wrench on the pipe-- then tightened a fitting above it with a crescent wrench. The pipe wrench was jammed so tight against the wall I needed another pipe wrench to ease the pressure off just a RCH to get my first wrench back. I suppose 'backup' could be used in that instance.
Jim

Backup wrench is the correct term. I've seen it used many times in similar install instructions.

On 07/10/2011 06:51 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

yup, and I imagine that's exactly what it's for.

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

The second is to hold the fitting while tightening the other half. You don't want to stress the existing connection. This is a common practice when doing certain aspects of piping.
On 7/10/2011 6:37 AM, micky wrote:

Typically you use a second backup wrench with the jaws pointing opposite so torque isn't transmitted into a more fragile item such as a valve.