Tools for removal of large nut from outdoor faucet

Two pipe wrenches. One to hold the pipes in place and the second for the "large nut." Might be easier if you have another person to hold the second wrench.

Reply to
timbirr

And...might be easier to just replace the WHOLE faucet, while your at it...

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

What is the best tool for removal of the large nut from an outdoor faucet? I'm trying to replace the rubber washer at the end of the stem. It appears that I need to remove the large nut (not just the smaller one immediately below the handle).

The large nut is on very tightly. I tried using an adjustable wrench, but it easily slips, and the same is true for a pair of groove joint pliers.

To complicate matters, the faucet is loosely mounted, so I need a way to keep the faucet (and pipes) twisting too much when I try to loosen the nut.

Exactly what type of tools would a professional plumber use? For example if a wrench needs to be used, exactly what type?

Thanks,

J.

Reply to
jay

To be clear, there is a smaller nut immediately below the handle. Unscrewing this does not seem to allow for removal of the stem. Then there is a larger nut (which is much larger in size when viewed from above), but it's hard to get a grip on it because it's thinner when viewed from the side).

J.

Reply to
jay