Tool Manufacturer Ranking

SWIMBO wants to help upgrade my power tool collection for Christmas...

We're looking at various battery powered tool sets.

The question is brand preference. How do you rank the Bosch, Dewalt, and Ryobi brands? Are there genuine differences in the quality of the brands (what?)? Are the differences worth the price difference? Finally, which would you recommend for someone (me) who handles all the home repair/construction/etc. jobs at our house and a few friends houses.

Thanks in advance,

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Kyle,

My ramblings----

I have owned all three brands of cordless drills. I find myself using the Ryobi the most (light weight balanced good power) but find the batteries are failing after only two years. The Dewalt is four years old, Bosch three and the Ryobi is two years old. The Dewalt and Ryobi's came with skill saws. The Dewalt was around $300.00 for the kit and the Ryobi kit was only $99.00. I guess I would still buy the Ryobi again without the saw (saw does not work well) The Dewalt saw works OK but not great. I would think you would need about 24 volts to have a good skil saw.

I originally bought the Ryobi during a job where we were getting a lot of tools stolen and didn't want my "good" tools stolen therefore I bought the cheap Ryobi. I would call it a great value even though the overall fit and finish is not that of the Bosch or Dewalt.

Hope this helps,

Craig in AZ.

cm

Depends on your needs. I'd rank hem quality wise just as you have them listed. I like the Ryobi though for a couple of reasons.

The 14.4 volt is easy to handle It will last for a long time given how often I use them Thee were affordable

If I needed the capabilities of the larger tools more often, I'd go for the

18 volt Bosch or DeWalt. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net
Edwin Pawlowski

I'd rate Bosch as top quality. If their name is on it, it's tough, well made and will endure..

DeWalt is a step down -- how much a step depends on who you ask. The price difference (at least here) is minimal.

Ryobi seems to be the best of the low end tools -- not sure how much of a beating they'll take. The price difference can be significant.

The best deal for you depends on how much you use them. I'm a contractor and I go with Bosch for tools like a TS or SCMS that will be used all day every day ... and I cheap out on tools that are infrequently used -- my jig saws, for example, are $25 no names, disposable like razors.

From what you've said, I'd guess that Ryobi might be a good choice for you. But your mileage may vary.

Ken

I'd guess that

Reply to
bambam

Oh lucky you.. More shit you wont use.

Hit google. This subject has been hammered, sawed, drilled, and sanded down from a giant redwood to a toothpick already.

FYIA

Reply to
Bill

Usually just a lurker but thought this link would help with tool reviews:

tdmz