Tool idea

Page 1 of 3

I think there's a demand for a device to equalize the sizes of electrical cord prongs.
Imagine a gizmo similar to a bit sharpener into which you insert the plug needing adjustment. A cutting wheel inside trims the larger, neutral, prong to the same size as the other one. It would probably have two cutting wheels to do both the top and the bottom.
I'd be willing to pay, oh, say, $14.95 for such a machine. It would save an immense amount of time compared to massaging each plug with a Dremel tool.
Heck, hardware stores could offer it as a service when you bought the offending, crippled, tools - similar to free gift wrapping!
And as for safety, it's not an issue. If grinding down the neutral prong WERE problematic, we'd certainly see some cautions in the 8-page safety instruction booklet that comes with and electric clock along with all the other admonitions such as "Not for use in the shower, Do not puncture, etc."
HeyBub wrote:

insulation? If it were unsafe, I'm sure the instructions that came with my floor lamp would have said so.
Before they had polarized plugs, didn't you ever get a shock from a lamp?
E Z Peaces wrote:

Back when I was traveling to trade shows every week, I did just that. I removed the outer rubber tube from the all the computer's power cords. The resulting wire coiled up into a neat little, tiny really, bundle.

Um, no.
HeyBub wrote:

lamp socket would never touch the shell. One might also touch it while changing a bulb. If that side of the cord were hot, it would be hot whether or not the switch was on.
It used to be that the chassis of a TV was a shock hazard if plugged in with the wrong polarity.

Why would you want to defeat a safety function? It took a while for UL to get that requirement, but it has saved many lives over the past 25 years.

I wonder what the authorities will have to say about this product. Think UL will approve it?
Only if it's sold with a polarized plug.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

How many is "many"?
Let's say each person plugs in one thing a day and 1/3 of the time that person has to do it over or check beforehand, thereby wasting one second of time.
300,000,000 people x 1 second / 3600 seconds/hr = 83,000 hours of lost productivity per day or 22 million man-hours per year. At even the minimum wage (say $9/hr), that's $210 million of wealth destroyed each year by polarized plugs.
According to the CPSC, about 400 people are electrocuted each year. Some of these deaths are due to coming in contact with overhead lines, and the like, so assume 300 are due to defective consumer equipment or equipment used improperly. Now suppose that number doubles as a result of non-polarized plugs. The value of each life saved then works out to (mumble-mumble, carry the three...) about $700,000.
Somewhere there's a trade-off point.

Slightly off topic. I don't buy this business of something 'costing' x dollars in time lost or misused time etc. Sure if something is blatant and frequent it may have a cost. e.g. A Fire Dept. finds that half the calls are False Alarms. There could be real cost in extra time, danger of being tied up, falsely, when a 'real' alarm occurs etc. But if some searchers take three hours looking for someone who turns out to be not lost after all there was no requirement to go out and hire more searchers. A wife doesn't go and get another one fiftieth of husband because he is 2% slow taking out the garbage. Or a family does not hire another tenth of a baby sitter if that sitter is half an hour late for a five hour baby sitting job. We don't elect another fifth of representative or senator if our present one spends 20% of their time 'goofing off' or on vacation!

Devil's advocate here...double insulation (not using the case/frame of appliance as ground) effectively renders polarized plugs unnecessary - except in the case of an internal fault, of course.
But them, it seems like a very simple, cost-effective safety feature, so why not.

Every year since inception, The Darwin Awards have had awards to give out.
wrote Re Re: Tool idea:

In the U.S.:
$1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.00
We consider a human live very valuable.

Caesar Romano wrote:

Unless it's a poor person that can't afford medical insurance, or a person with pre-existing conditions. 45,000 deaths per year.
http://www.harvardscience.harvard.edu/medicine-health/articles/new-study-finds-45000-deaths-annually-linked-lack-health-coverage

Yes, except in that case...it goes without saying....
...add gw hates black people...
what a maroon...

Yes, except in that case...it goes without saying....
...add gw hates black people...
what a maroon...
Caesar Romano wrote:

Then why are school busses not equipped with seat belts?

Because to do so, you have to design and build a completely different bus. Seatbelts simply added to an existing bus are somewhere between useless and more dangerous.
School busses in their present form are among the safest vehicles on the road. If you want meaningful safety measures, make wearing a helmet mandatory in cars. Head injuries in car crashes are very common, and often what makes them fatal. Those that aren't killed by head inhjuries in car crashes are often left with TBI and are costly to warehouse for the rest of their lives at taxpayer expense. It would be so easy to avoid so much of it.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I suggest that airline travel is safer than school busses and airplanes are equipped with seat belts. And just because school busses are among the safest vehicles on the road that doesn't mean they can't be made safer. Nevertheless, I agree that it would cost more to retrofit seat belts in school busses than the paltry few lives it might save*.
Fact is, there's a point of diminishing returns.
------------ * One recent report says about 800 kids are killed in vehicle accidents each year. Of these, about 20 involved a school bus. Of these 20, five were passengers and 15 were pedestrians. Putting seat belts on the roughly half-million school busses in the U.S. would cost only, um, 500,000 busses x 30 seats x $75 each = $1.125 billion.

You are neglecting the other problem. You can't simply install seatbelts in present buses. They were not designed properly for seat belts. You would have to start over with a completely new bus of a different design, and after that, still have buses that are not appreciably safer than what we have now. It's a totally misguided idea with no real payoff.
On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 09:00:06 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

How would you get the kids to use them?