Tool handles

May be no help where you are, but this is the stuff on the right hand side of the little pond:-

I'm sure I've also seen a USA'n type, but I'm buggered if I can remember the name it went by.

regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

"Ed Huntress" wrote in news:%bYIi.690$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga:

for hammer handles,the best,SAFEST way is to replace the handle. With patched cracks,you could get pieces/shards flying off under impacts. If you can't find an ash replacement handle,go to a woodcraft store and buy a large ash dowel and shave it down to size. Or buy a cheap wood handled hammer from Harbor Freight,and swap the handle into your antique.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Home Depot..Plumbing section "Oatey" brand..comes ina clear plastic tube about 1" Dia X 10" long w/ red cap on end. About 6 bucks

Reply to
Rudy

SNIP...then you wrote......

Hey Jim,

I've got an antique axe similkarrly dealt with. I figure it is about

400 years old. It's had a least 8 new handles, and I myself just replaced the head once again, just a few years back.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Other than that, it's all original...

--

Reply to
dpb

With a new head and new handle, that must be quite an antique.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

The old joke goes "it is the one George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree".

Reply to
gfretwell

Any epoxy/fiberglass supplier should be able to sell you "epoxy filler" which is what you are looking for. Or you can mix your own by first mixing epoxy resin and hardener and then adding a substance to thicken the mix. This thickener can range from talcum powder to micro balloons to carbo sil to wood dust to just about anything depending on how hard you want the results to be.

Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Reply to
brucedpaige

You must not have much in the way of stores where you are. All the major hardware chains around here have one or more types of two-strip putty on the peg as do the major auto parts chains. Devcon is one brand, J-B Weld has some also. There's some stuff in the plumbing areas in most of the big-box home improvement joints supposed to stop leaks, but I've used it, it's crap. Best sort I've used is the one with the resin surrounding the hardener in sort of a "hot-dog" configuration. That's the two-strip sort of putty. The True Value also has a two-part putty that comes in film containers stuck in the ends of a cardboard tube, haven't seen it elsewhere, X-11 I think is the name. Good stuff, also available in white, which is good for porcelain light socket and plumbing fixture repairs. As with any of it, temperature makes a big difference in setup time. None of it is cheap, though.

If you can find a real hardware store, they'll have a lot of replacement handles, maybe not as cheap as what you can find replacement chink tools, though. If you've got good Ames or Collins shovels and tools, they're worth new handles. Also, a cheap storage shed will prevent a recurrance of the problem.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 21:34:28 +0000, Rich Grise wrote: ...

Yeah, I know, bad form to reply to myself, but there are too many great answers to reply individually!

Thanks All! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise