tool for joining garden hoses

Is there a tool for helping to join (i.e repair) 2 sections of garden hoses. Getting one side of plastic connector into one section is relatively easy but getting the other side into other piece far enough is not.

Reply to
Frank Thompson

I've never had a problem. Maybe badly made connectors, or one hose is the wrong size? If you have "strength" problem, try lubing the connector with veg oil or silicone lube to make it slide on easier.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Agreed... or soak the obstinate end in hot water. As always, use all appropriate caution, common sense & good judgment.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

I always soak the plastic hose ends in boiling(almost) hot water to really soften them up, then a little vaseline or other lubricant and the hose ends slide on the fitting real easily.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Frank: Garden hose typically comes in both 1/2 and 5/8 inch ID sizes. You may be trying to push a 1/2 inch hose onto a 5/8 inch connector.

What I always do whenever pushing fittings into plastic hose is boil a pot of water. Leave the end of the hose in the hot water for 20 to 30 seconds or so, and it'll be soft enough to push over your fitting easily. I've done this with 1 inch plastic water hose, and it works like a charm.

Make sure you have any clamps you intend to use on the joint on the hose before soaking the end of the hose in hot water.

Reply to
nestork

It's like soldering. The most perfect solder joint you'll ever make is one you'll have to break to get the connector sleeve you forgot to slide on the wire back on.

Reply to
Robert Green

I've done that, with 1/4 phono plugs. And 1/8. Anyone old enough to remember those?

. Christ>> Make sure you have any clamps you intend to use on the joint on the hose

Reply to
Stormin Mormon