Tool for cutting intermediate sized branches

A bowsaw.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I have a pair of vise cutters that are good on things up to maybe two inches, and a trimmer for smaller things. I'm trying to avoid getting a chainsaw.

Any tool recommendations for something in between?

Reply to
Stephen Boulet

A new pruning saw, with "shark" teeth. I cut 3" branches quickly and with no problems with a pruning saw I bought last year (I think it is a Fiskar's), and it makes a very smooth cut. I think maybe it shaves the cut surface as it goes.

I don't remember for sure if it cuts on the pull stroke or the push stroke, but I think it cuts on both.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Loppers and a pruning saw is what I use. When I need to take down a tree I use a axe and/or a hatchet. I have over 200 trees on my property, and I have not owned/used a chain saw for over 14 years.

Reply to
Phisherman

Have you considered a small electric chain saw? No fuss with fuel, light and easy as long as you are within extension cord reach.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Pruning saws are great, and I'm not muscle bound. They make quick work of limbs up to 2".

Reply to
NorMinn

Cordless sawzall (18V or more) with the coarsest blade you can find (and a rather long one too). I can make quick work of 2 to 3 inch branches. It will probably cut branches up to 5 inches or so if you rock it back and forth. The human work is mush easier than a manual saw too.

You can get a Harbor Freight special for $99, or spend the big bucks for a good one. I have the harbor freight one, and would recommend the combo kit ($130) so you get two batteries and some other tools you can probably also use.

SueMarkP

A $5 bowsaw works wonders. They are not as hard to use as some people think. I have cut off creosote treated power poles with them already. However, if you are looking to get the job done without exercise, you can buy a bowsaw type blade for a sawsall, they care 10 inches long, but cost about $8 a piece, and snap off at the saw if you are not careful. Someone else mentioned an electric chainsaw. I have one, it works good as long as the chain is kept sharp, but dont force it. I killed the motor on my last one by making it work too hard. Personally, I own at least 7 gas chainsaws. They take up space in my garage, and should be sold at the next garage sale. Those damn things never run when I need them. I have spent a small fortune getting them fixed, I drain the gas when I finish a job, and they still dont work the next time I need one. The same is true of my gas weed whacker. I have a policy. If it's got a 2cycle engine, leave it at the store for someone else to buy and get pissed off at.

Reply to
me