tool for cutting ceramic tiles

Hi all, I am looking for a tool I can use to make angular and round cuts on 12" ceramic tiles. I habe a tile cutter, just the basic $30 cutter but need something better. Would a small hand held grinder work. Its for a small bathroom job I'm doing. kudos Steve

Reply to
steve

Sure. Use a diamond wheel though and cut from the back of the tile.

In fact, a grinder was the only way I could make plunge cuts in some zirconia (very hard) tile I used in my bathroom remodel.

Steve Manes Brooklyn, NY

Steve Manes

The RotoZip tool with the tile cutting blade is as good as a jig saw would be in wood. You can freehand cut any contour or use a guide for smoother curves.

A dremel with appropriate bit would probably also work but much slower.

Reply to
AutoTracer

QVC, the shopping channel, had this German hand held glass cutter with a diamond wheel that would cut straight or curves on glass, tiles, paper, leather, etc. Looks very impressive but don't know if it really works as well as the demonstration.

Another cool tool is the wet scroll saw with a diamond blade featured on one of the This Old House series. I have a hacksaw with a round wire carbide blade that should also do curves but have not used.

Reply to
Kim

Low tech solution is a rod saw. That is - surprise - a rod with carbide sintered to ir. Goes in a hack saw frame.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Dremel with a LOT of cut-off disks

Had to cut an outlet in the center of a tile. Took me about 4 packs of

25 cut off disks. Wasn't pleasant, but looked great when done.

Just another suggestion, but is VERY, VERY time consuming.

c_kubie

Reply to
c_kubie

If you are talking about wall tiles, then the Home Depot $6 Dremel bit for ceremic works great. It still takes 30 seconds to a minutes to cut an outlet hole however. The bit can probably make ten holes before replacement.

Reply to
Some Poster

The tiles I cut with the cut-off bits were wall tiles which are thicker and more dense.

Reply to
c_kubie

I have had good luck with the rod saw method -- it's low tech, cheap, a little time consuming but you have pretty good control. Practice on a scrap piece first. If you have a workbench clamp, clamp the tile between two pieces of scrap wood. For interior holes you can start with a tile cutting drill bit (the kind that looks like a little spear) then thread the hacksaw blade through the drilled hole. The rod blade is round in cross section so you can take your cut in any direction without changing the angle of the hacksaw frame.

Reply to
Heathcliff

I second this one. I used it to cut the wholes for the faucets etc. Didnt think it would be that easy!!! Rotozip rocks.

Tom

P.S. sears carries their own brand too, cheaper and just as good.

Reply to
BocesLib