Tool for boring stucco?

So you chip the stucco, repair it , a 5 min job. Buy stucco patch in a bag. Just use your bit and dont use 1.5" pvc , use conduit.

Reply to
m Ransley

I need to cut a 1.5 inch diameter hole through a stucco-ed wall to run my power line to the garage. The 1.5 inch hole is for the above grade PVC conduit. Below grade is the proper power cable that can be buried as is.

What is a good tool to use that won't chip or flake the stucco?

To use a hole saw will be like applying the saw teeth to a grindstone. I have a 3/4 inch masonry tungsten drill bit but I don't think that will go very far either and will most likely chip the stucco.

From the stucco layer the hole will encounter a wire mesh that held the stucco as well as the tar paper over the plywood sheathing.

Reply to
KLM

Use a carbide rimmed hole saw, made for cutting through ceramic tile. I've bought them from HD and tile supply houses.

Baring that a glass supply house will have diamond hole saws but I think that is overkill.

RB

KLM wrote:

Reply to
RB

Carbide hole saw. At your local hardware store.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

Hi, That's it. My electrician drilled a hole to run a cable through stucco wall. Made very clean hole. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It's one of those difficult decisions you have to make when you do it yourself. Should I buy a $65.00 Carbide Hole saw, or farm the job out ?

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

Or use a regular $10 or < (sacrificial) hole saw. Also, if he scores the circumference of the hole with a hammer and chisel first, then carefully chisels out the hole, the rough edges can be covered with a bead of caulk or duct seal.

Reply to
volts500

Even the cheapest holesaw from Harbor Freight tools will cut ONE hole in stucco...then pitch it if its shot. I sawed a square 12" hole in a stucco wall with one cheap all purpose jigsaw blade-no prob R

Reply to
Rudy

That's my fallback solution. I caulk seal the gap and then apply stucco to match.

I was hoping for a cheap and fast alternative.

Reply to
KLM

You have a cheap alternative and could do it in 5 minutes but you want to think it to death. Your 3/4 drill bit ,,, yes ive done it on stucco quite a few times, so do it and quit yer thinkin

Reply to
m Ransley