Tool advice

Everyone has different preferences, I guess. Although I don't have much experience with air tools, I imagine they might be OK for a fixed location. But do you really drag a compressor up to your bathroom (or maybe a really long hose through the house) just to put up a shelf, or hang a picture?

The power source for my tools is either IN the tool (cordless), or available in every room of my house (outlets). The convenience of a cordless drill is such that I hardly ever turn a screw by hand anymore. I doubt that I would find an air tool so handy.

In fact, I'm trying to wrap my brain around the idea of getting a nail gun, which I assumed would have to be an air tool. But now I see that there are some models that use a fuel cell instead. I'm wondering if they might be a good choice for my needs. (sporadic, home handyman stuff). If I don't need a tether, I'm happy to do without it.

Greg Guarino

Reply to
Greg

B&D is a good brand, but it is the lower priced, homeowner brand. DeWalt is the same company, and their pro line.

I as a home owner, have had good luck with the B&D versa pack system of battery tools.

That is the biggest difference between homeowner and pro tools, the latter have a service network to keep them going, You might check on the latter, since the Milwaukee dealer/service in my sells refurbished tools as well as new.

Reply to
John Hines

This is Turtle.

I use these tools in my HVAC business and I give them hell and they seem to do well.

---Corded Drill 3/8" B & D .

---Cordless drill 18 volt B & D but use to use Porter Cable & DeWalt but they cost more and I get the same time frame out of the B & D.

---circle saw 7.5" Corded Skill.

---Recept saw Porter cable corded is good but Milwakee sure is nice.

---Jig Saw B & D .

These are the ones i see that will last me for 2 to 3 years but I can buy the high dollar stuff and go maybe 3 or 4 years. The price of the high dollar stuff it just too great to pay when I get very little time difference out of the ones listed here.

This is some ideal for heavy use and very abusive to them when working with them.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

You forgot another option. If you have to do some work way out in the back yard and you don't have an extension cord long enough, you can drag the generator out there to power the air compressor that you dragged out there, so you can use the air driven tool. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Corded drill - Milwaukie Cordless drill - Panasonic Skill saw - PC Sawboss or Skill 77 if you want a monster Reciprocating Saw - Bosch Jig Saw - Delta

As you can see there is no one perfect brand. You need to choose each tool individually. These are my favorites but do your own research.

Reply to
davefr

An air sander needs lot of air to operate OTOH, a nail gun needs very little and only for a second at a time. Two options. Buy a small portable compressor. Porter Cable has some kits that have the nail gun and a pancake compressor that is a great starting tool.

The other option is a portable air tank that you'd fill from the shop compressor. It is good for probably 75 or 100 shots before you'd have to re-fill it.

As for other tools, I'm not at all interested in air because of the restrictions and the size compressor I'd need to operate them. I have battery drills and like them very much. I have air nailers, but they are used only in the shop. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Nope. Just don't get an oiless compressor. Mine is but the feedback is that its not durable and its noisy. Get at least 5 HP with a large tank. Pneumatic tools are also intrinsically safe. You can even use them in wet environments.

As for the hand tools they are so cheap nowadays its a miracle how the manufacturers make any money. But cheap doesn't mean crappy. For most household chores the cheap stuff is perfectly good. They are precision made and work like a charm. If you need the heavy duty stuff such as a construction nailer then go for the high end pricey tools.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Uhuh. The voltage drop from using a long extension chord was enough to trip the breaker frequently. Plus I hate having to unravel a long reel of cord and rewind afterwards. Did that for some years because I was using an electric lawn mower. I've a gas powered one now. If it drizzles its unsafe to use electrical (mains) tools outside.

On air tools use a long hose. There is no pressure drop and the tools work at full power at any location. There doesn't exist a tool that will do everything. My electric screw driver and cordless drill are indispensible tools. It'll be crazy to drag around a compressor and break out the pneumatic tools for such simple tasks. But for many other applications pneumatic tools are ideal and a joy to use.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

I own and like the air tools too. I got a deal on a good compressor and added air tools as my situation dictated. I now have a brad nailer, 15g angle finish nailer, stapler and framing nailer and paint sprayer. Bought one at a time as I had a need for them. Porter cable has some nice starter outfits for a good price that may get you started.

Brikp

My powered hand held tools. All are corded except the Ryobi. Most of the Craftsman tools are 15 -20 years old.

Craftsman: Scroll saw, 1/2" drill, 3/8" vsr drill/driver, 3" belt sander, Pad sander, Router. Makita: Palm sander, Reciprocating saw, Drywall screwdriver Ryobi: 18v cordless vsr drill/driver B&D: 7-1/4" circular saw. Skil: Worm drive circular saw. Rotozip: Original, bought from TV when first advertised.

Reply to
willshak

Porter Cable is big in routers and wood working tools.

Reply to
John Hines

Tool advice from this gearhead:

Educate yourself as to what it is you need. Shop price so you know what any particular tool sells for.

THEN buy the best you can afford, but if you know what you need and what they usually cost, you can always get a deal, second hand, etc.

Buy with the anticipation of what you will need a year from now. Lots of times, when you get to working with the tools, you will discover that the light duty smaller tools won't cut it once you really start to apply them. Then you will have to buy bigger and better, and will have to take a beating $$ wise on the tools unless you picked them up at a good price.

Lastly, a guy can't have too many tools.

MHO from my experiences.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Don't you think the inside of the tools may differ a bit when the price doubles?

I have a Ryobi cordless drill, Replaced the switch for $26 and the batteries are also shot after 18 months. .

I have a Panasonic drill for $200 that is more powerful, lighter, has better speed control, a one hand operating chuck, better feel overall.

They Ryobi is good for the guy that drill a hole a month and drive four screws a month. You don't see them being used very often by the pros though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
[...]

I was all set to buy a Panasonic when my DeWalt DW972 died, but then Costco had the NOS DW972 kit--the drill, the charger, two batteries, and the case--for $67. So I had to buy another one. I'm already heavily invested in DeWalt 12V stuff anyway, and I *do* like the drill, so it made sense.

Panasonic does make killer cordless drills.

I used a 12V Ryobi around the house two or three times a month and it was fine. Then I rebuilt/extended a 200' picket fence with it, and it still worked, but it was noticeably weaker. I gave it to my sister when she bought a house, and I think it did fine for her for another year or so.

Reply to
Bo Williams

This is not an easy question. Tradesmen are probably the only people with experience with more than one brand of any given tool, and they use the high end tools that most DIYs would not want to sink all their money in, especially for tools that we use, frankly, rarely. A lot of opinions are based on outdated information. Companies that once made quality tools may now be making an inferior grade, so a DIY who swears by his 25 year old B&D is telling the truth, but that opinion may not be relevant to today's B&D. Few of us have had the opportunity to use competing current versions of tools; where can you get that type of information? I really don't know. I don't think you can tell by going into HD and looking. Maybe try renting, but they seem to have only one brand of any tool that they will rent.

I don't have many pneumatic tools; using them is just more hassle than picking up a batteried tool; maybe if I were in more of a production environment, pneumatic would be worth the cost and inconvenience, but I don't think most DIYs are in that situation. I find myself spending often on new hoses, and I don't think I get my money's worth out of that type of tool.

Having said that, I have a Bosch belt sander that is a superb tool, and a Makita palm sander that has worked well for many many years, but I also have a Ryobi corded reciprocating saw (very light use) and batteried drill (relatively heavy use), and both of these have lasted well and do good work, yet Ryobi is often considered one of the low end brands.

Reply to
William Brown

Certainly. My point is, pro tools are expected to be serviced and repaired, and kept running. Home owner tools are more disposable, and less thought is made for servicing them.

When I buy my tools at

(they are local to me), and a Milwaukee service center, I know they will stand behind them, more than a box store.

I certainly don't expect the same from the no-name (house brand) imports, but they don't cost the same either.

Pros and consumers have differing goals with tools, and totally differing opinions on price vs reliability and such.

Reply to
John Hines

If you ever had to do any of those things in 100' of water, you'd appreciate an air-hose.

Reply to
JerryMouse

Well, you are talking to someone who just "pretends" to be a handyman :-) Seriously, though, not having experience with brands, etc., it's hard to tell whether some powertool is good, or a good value. COuple that with the fact that many (most ?) sales people don't really know much about the tools they are selling and... For example, HD has a set

Black & Decker GelMax 14.4 Volt Drill/Studfinder/Flashlight for $80

I don't care for the flashlight and the Studfinder, but it comes with 2 batteries (which is good). My first impulse was, B&W is a descent band,

14.4 Volts sounds powerful enought, and the price is not bad. But when I talked to the sales people and they told me, "... you really want to stay away from B&D, you really want this 18 Volt Makita for $199,..." That totally confused me.

BTW, I hadn't though about the replacement part route. I'll try that, as well - thanks!

Reply to
Harry

We're a couple hundred feet above sea level here and the roof's been OK so far. Thanks though.

Greg Guarino

Reply to
Greg G

That seems to be the trend, in general... I've actually gotten lots of interesting responses, in this newsgroup, which is great. Based on what I've seen so far, I think I'm better off spending a bit more and getting makita(s) or equivalent.

Reply to
Harry