Too Much Stuff

Page 2 of 2
On 10/17/2014 11:44 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I've gotten in a lot of arguments on Usenet. People outside of Wisconsin always get the mistaken impression that Walker is doing a good job. He is not!
Under Walker my property taxes have gone up just like they have with any other governor. His election promise was 250,000 new jobs in his first term which is soon to run out. By no count has he even come up with half that amount.

Don't know, never owned any property. Never had to mess with auto registration either, due to my gringo condition, but my Mexican friends did, ran about $500 (US) per year per auto.
To get a telephone was about $1000 (US). I never had one in my name, just used the one that came with the apartment as many people did. To be fair, the $1000 also got you some stock in TelMex - no idea how much - which was easily sold.
I recall reading a letter to the editor in the local paper from a guy bitching about the cost; he was incensed that they had to pay so much when you could get a phone in the US for only $500. If he only knew...:)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

We went to Cancun about that time. Lots of fun to pretend we were the Donald and leaving 60,000 tips.
--
“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.”
dadiOH wrote:

During that era I went over to Neuvo Laredo to look around. It was hot and I was thristy, so I got a glass of something sort of like lemonade from a street vendor. I gave him a US dollar, and held my hand out for the change. He put a few coins in, but when I still had my hand out he added a bunch more. I finally waved him off when I had a collection of odd Mexican coins. The whole pocketful was probably worth 5 cents but I'd have paid a buck for the glass of whatever anyway.

I'm curious as to where you think AZ gets it's money from as far as "elsewhere". I think my property taxes are too high but I know they are lower then many places. Property tax here on a 100,000 house runs about 800 a year. Sales tax is around 8.5%. Income tax perhaps 3 or 4%.
On 10/18/2014 2:43 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

In my town you'd pay about $1300 for that same house. Our taxes are better that others around here. Most of the money is for schools.
On 10/18/2014 01:43 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

<snip>

In Milwaukee the property taxes are about $3000 / $100,000
So anyone living outside Wisconsin who thinks Governor Walker is doing a good job...are just plain uninformed.
OTOH: In Arizona (I'm told by those who live there) that car registration is based on the value of one's car and can easily be $300 - $500 a year
In Wisconsin it's just a fixed fee of about $100 a year.
It was even lower before Walker got in.
On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 07:53:37 -0400, Stormin Mormon

I've got a garage full of all sorts of tools and can't imagine not having them. Yet... when I go back east for a month to visit people I find that after getting settled in for a week or so I really don't miss hardly anything at all and feel like if I never went back it would be no big deal. The few things I would eventually need I'd just go buy or just hire someone to do the work while I goof off.

My uncle had loads of books, and when I was a teenager, I was over there and wanted to borrow one. He was a real hardnose and gave me a v. stern warning about returning. I thought I did.
Then 40 years later I found the book in a moving carton. Oh no!!!
After 5 minutes I remember that it was a second copy I got 35 years earler at a goodwill store in Racine, Wisc.

That's vacation syndrome. Going out of town really does make one (that is, me, and I'll bet, everyone) forget his problems at home, even when I might want to remember them. If you really lived where you visit, you'd want your old life back there.

If I needed a sheet of plastic or a 2x4, those things I could buy with no trouble.
It's the weirdo things that I can't buy that I have to save, in case I need them. And I often do need one of the wierdo things.
But others would just call it junk.

I''m 67 and I've been here for 31 years. I hope to stay 28 more until I'm 95 and then die suddenly. But more reasonable to expect to last until 85. When I was much fatter, I found that going up the stairs on all 4's was much easier than upright, so that's part of my back-up plan for when I'm old and weak.

That's great! Thanks -- perfect after a rough day here of battling windmills.

Yes, the licence plate fee/tax on newer cars can be several hundred. it drops off pretty fast though. At least it's mostly used for fixing roads instead of paying welfare loafers.