Too Many Ice Melt Products!

Page 2 of 2
On 12/8/2010 4:38 PM, Pete C. wrote:

If I dumped sand on my driveway when it iced up, it'd all just slide down the hill and collect at the bottom. I have avoided using salt and similar, because my front yard is in sad shape as it is, and I don't want 2 dead stripes on the sides come spring. Took me 3 years to get grass to grow again where the independent plow company the township tried one year, decided MY front yard was a good push-off spot halfway up the straight stretch. I meant to get boulders for the bottom driveway corners after that, but never found a decent price on delivered ones, and I don't have a truck.
Thankfully, the last few winters around here have been pretty mild. If I can get even 1/4 of the asphalt showing, and if the sun comes out even a couple hours while I am at work, it burns off pretty well. I haven't had to park in the street/yard yet, which is good, because plow would bury it.
--
aem sends....

We're not going to have much snow in NYC this winter, because I bought a snowblower. Small house and a cheap electric (Snow Joe) blower, but apparently just the fact that I bought it is sufficient to ensure that NYC is protected.

re: "just the fact that I bought it is sufficient to ensure that NYC is protected"
Well, I thought I had my area protected with the purchase of this, but we've had 13" since last week.
http://www.ariens.com/products_snow/sno_tek/sno_tek_24/Pages/default.aspx
I haven't *really* needed to use it since the snow has come in 2" - 3" shovelable increments, but I took it out last night to get to know it. It's my first 2-stage so I wanted to get aquainted before we get dumped on with a foot or more of lake effect snow.
I cleaned up a bunch of EOD's on my street and moved a few piles around.
You can read my full review here:
http://www.opeonthenet.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10060&p=92191#p92191
-snip-

Those high gears are good for the little snowfalls. As long as they aren't too wet, you can probably put it in 'fast walk' and just trot back and forth in your driveway. The goal is to keep the scoop full without packing it. Remember that the machine will like to throw snow in one direction more than the other- so if you can, plan your blowing pattern around that.
Sounds like a good little machine. When I run out of parts for my1965 Bolens Artic75 I hope Ariens is still making a good machine.
Jim
dgk wrote:

I won't get much snow here in Texas either... I left my snow blower back in the frozen northeast, but I've got a small 4x4 diesel tractor with loader which will ensure I don't get enough snow to have fun with the tractor.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Blowtorch?