Too Many Ice Melt Products!

Page 1 of 2
Which one should I use for this application?
50+ year old concrete stoop with brick border on steps, slightly deteriorated.
50+ year old concrete walkway with 1/2" stone aggregate, slightly deteriorated, 10 feet long
Unsealed asphalt driveway, just need to do under overhang where snow melt causes an long narrow ice patch on driveway.
2 small dogs that don't like walking on rock salt.
Don't want to drag chemicals into house.
Thanks!

Not just "don't like"-- we nearly lost our pug when, after he had strolled through some excess rocksalt on a public sidewalk, he licked his paws clean. He nearly got a lethal dose. The vet warned us to wash those paws as soon as we get back in the car- by the time we got home he had already poisoned himself.

We've been using Magic salt on our driveway- where he rarely walks--- and that god-awfully expensive [and minimally effective] 'SafePaw' for the sidewalk he uses.
Neither seems to hurt the concrete. [ some 5 yrs old, most 30+] But the Magic salt really lives up to its name. It lingers and it seems to take less for the original melt. It is more expensive per pound than rock salt- but think it is the better buy.
Jim

re: "we nearly lost our pug..."
We have a Pug and a PugZu or a Shug or Shih-Ug or whatever you call a Pug-ShihTzu mix.
The Pug is old and already gimpy and the rock salt really bothers his paws.
Is Magic Salt safe(r) compared to Rock Salt?
-snip-

'er', I think. We get it at a dog groomers & she swears it is 'safe for dogs'. Tammy does her homework and I think she probably right on this stuff, too. My take is that it is a little safer because you use less of it-- and it has less salt in it to start.
The magic salt people also say it tastes bad to dogs so they don't lick. http://www.magicsaltnj.com/petfriendly.html
I don't know, because we started using it *after* we became so paranoid about what our guy walked in.
IMO- it won't help with the tracking in by people. It is messy stuff.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Sand. No chemicals, just some sweeping up come spring. Ice isn't the problem, it is the smooth surface that is, add sand and the problem is gone.

re: "add sand and the problem is gone. "
I guess I should have added 1 more criteria:
"I don't want to drag mud into house."
Snow melts and the shoes dry. Even salt, for the most part, can be kicked off before entering the house.
There's not much you can do when wet sand is stuck to the bottom of your shoes or boots.
I'd wager that sand makes more of a mess inside the house than any other option.
In article

Nope wood ash tops all. If you want no mess a propane tank hooked up to a torch works if you are active. Folks in NY state that I happened upon had a cold porch to take off the nasty stuff. This was near the rifle for stupid dear. I use sand gingerly and have a torch back up. Salt not good for plants either, but a hard fall can if your lucky to walk away change your priorities.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Daniel Moynihan and Dennis Kucinich in 2012 !

re: "This was near the rifle for stupid dear. "
Freudian slip?
In article

Nope just typing and counting on "spell checker" some mac magic that is not perfect.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Daniel Moynihan and Dennis Kucinich in 2012 !
On 12/8/2010 2:06 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

with the vinyl floors.
Just be careful that you don't use sodium chloride on concrete surfaces. Normal ice melters have calcium chloride which is OK.

I wouldn't use Calcium Chloride unless you want to be washing the white film off of everything when your wet footprints dry...
Magnesium Chloride leaves less of a mess... Also for those whose pets don't like stepping on the "rock salt" pellets, look for flakes instead...
~~ Evan

I never had problems with Calcium Chloride. When I lived in Vermont I'd go through around 500# a year. It certainly doesn't track like Sodium Chloride.

Flakes don't work nearly was well as granules and Magnesium doesn't work was well as Calcium. I tried 'em all.
On Dec 9, 11:50pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

--

Our dog certainly had problems with sodium but not calcium.

Certainly. Calcium because it works to a lower temperature, takes less, and doesn't track badly. Dogs aren't affected as much by it either. Granules over flakes because they give better traction and pit the ice so it continues to have better traction, even it it's not completely gone (it takes way too much to completely get rid of a good icing).

No, it's another reason to use Calcium. Calcium doesn't destroy the grass, either. It's a bit more expensive but well worth it.
On Dec 10, 8:37pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Thanks! I'll give it a try.
<stuff snipped>

Lots of blood and ooze and howling from the dog, but very little additional ice-melting capacity. (-;
-- Bobby G.
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 06:01:34 -0500, "Robert Green"

Ever see a dog trying to pick up ALL FOUR paws?
-snip-

I've tried sand. Problem is- If you sand in the morning, by evening when you get home, that sand has melted and is now under an even slicker surface. Or it hasn't re-frozen, and you track it into the house.
Doesn't work well in my part of the world.
Jim

o brother, you must live where it doesn't snow very much. If we used sand, we'd have to use hundreds of pounds of it.
ktos wrote:

I used to live where it snowed a lot, and I did use hundreds of pounds of sand and a lot of 4x4 as well. Fortunately I was smart enough to move somewhere where we get just enough snow to laugh at for a day and then it's gone.