Too Cold for Mortar?

How cold of weather can I lay bricks? I have a small job I need to get done and I'm wondering if I can still get it done before winter really sets in. Also if I can set the bricks in the day time, how long do they need to dry before they may freeze over night?

Thanks, Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

Don't lay bricks (or pour concrete) if you expect sub-freezing weather within a week. Ideally, you would want 30 day's of curing to maximize the mortar's strength, but a 7-10 day cure will result in a high level of curing.

Sub-freezing temperatures stop the curing process, and it won't ever restart.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

I had a similar need last year and used a product called "Winter Admix." I believe that it was put up by Amstone. It worked well down into the

20's F. Using the old standby, calcium chloride will reduce ultimate strength more than these additives.

I bought this at an Ace Hardware affiliated lumber yard.

RB

Bernie Hunt wrote:

Reply to
RB

It is done all the time in Canada. Construction never stops for winter.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

It's done all the time in NYC too, but concrete is heavily "drugged". Additionally, any deck pours or brick laying is weather protected (blankets and tarps) and heated with temporary heat stoves or propane stoves.

Reply to
Dennis J Sunday

I believe that

technical papers say you have to stay above freezing for 24 hours. for mortar.

weather

maximize the

Reply to
Art Begun