Too bad Japan didn't use Canadian CANDU reactors

Page 3 of 3

Just a little clarification needed: I thought the best way to protect any structure from earthquake damage was to "float" it. That is the ground may move significantly side-to-side and up-and-down but as long as the components of the building remained in the same relative position there would be no catastrophic damage. The same principle protects against other disasters such as hurricanes. Of course I'm basing this on building code requirements for residential housing and things may be more complex for very heavy and large structures such as nuclear plants. Although enormous office buildings don't seem to come crumbling down.
For tsunami's I presume the protection was some sort of physical barrier between it and the sea although none of the reports I've seen seem to talk about this. Why do reactors have to be built right next to the ocean or river? Presumably they don't actually pump out potentially contaminated water into the ocean/river but instead use it as a giant heat sink. It would doubtless cost more if the reactor were built on a bluff or even an artificial mountain/hill to elevate it 100 meters or so above sea level but in many parts of the country there are plenty of areas where this could be done. Doubtless the pumping would be more expensive but I'm unconvinced it would be prohibitive.
Same goes with the people. Based on the videos all the areas where the tsunami wreaked havoc were on a large near-sea-level plain where people would have had to run or drive miles to any sort of safety. Just a requirement to dot hills around the place would seem to be life saving for many.
Just a thought...

He's not "totally" wrong and you're glossing over the differences in fundamental design and safety margins of PHWR (Candu) vs BWR. In the event of Station Black Out (SBO) + loss of ECCS w/o operator intervention, a Candu reactor, due to the heat sinks provided in the design from the low pressure/low temp moderator and water filled reactor core, will very likely not "melt down" while a BWR certainly will and did.

When the control rods are dropped, as they were in Japan within seconds of the earthquake being detected, the reaction stops. All that's left is the secondary radioactive byproducts producing heat as they enter their half-life phase, which is a few days to a couple weeks.

No, nitwit. All nuclear power reactors need a functioning cooling system for days after the fission reaction is stopped. That's because the heat continues to come from radioactive byproducts of the fission. You can stop the fission, but you cannot stop the natural decay of those radioactive byproducts. Ever hear of a spent fuel pool? Why do you think they generate heat and must be cooled as well?
I'd like to see a credible reference that says the fission process cannot be stopped by inserting all the control rods in the GE reactor. Link please......
And what kind of nitwit starts speculating without having any of the basic facts? We need a full investigation. So far, we hardly have any data at all as to what happened.

What a piece of shit you are, true crap, Put 30 feet of water over any plant not designed to operate flooded and what do you have you ass hole. There are always smart asses like you around. You are the true Fucktard.
Home Guy wrote:

Hmm. So far, no one has died (or even gotten sick) from the Japanese nuclear power plants.
A pundit who studied Chernobyl for 30 years recently concluded that more people died from WORRY over the events at Chernobyl than from radiation poisoning or its aftermaths.
This worry manifested itself in agitation over relocation, heart disease, Type II diabetes, consternation, upheavals, etc. There was a ten-fold increase in abortions as women feared their children might be born with god knows what.
It might be said, to coin a phrase, we have nothing to fear but fear.
On 3/16/2011 9:02 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Always good to make jokes especially when you know that except in the case of exposure to mega quantities of radiation health effects are not instantaneous.

The FSU was really open about all of their doings so we can certainly count on accurate statistics....

George wrote:

No joke. There are three possible bad effects from radiation:
* Radiation sickness - you either get over it or you die. There is no lasting effect. * Genetic mutation - there is no case on record of a mutated fetus surviving to term. * Cancer - Cancer is the most studied disease on the planet.
Next, there are no "mega quantities" of radiation in Japan (or at least none reported).
The point the pundit was making is that there is a fourth deleterious health effect: Fear. Fear, and the accompanying trepidation, causes heart problems, psychological dysfunction, and irrational actions, such as tens of thousands of elective abortions.
What does this have to do with home repair? Unless the discussion touches on how much lead is needed to wrap a house near a reactor, then this is the wrong newsgroup.
On 3/16/2011 8:02 PM, HeyBub wrote:

R. F. Duffer wrote:

Complaining about the content of various posts doesn't really fit the portfolio of the group either.

were candu reactors around 50 years ago?