Tongue and groove cedar question and carpenters out there?

I am sheeting in a raised platform about 4 ft off the ground with tongue and groove cedar...I then am sheeting in a wall from the floor up to this platform also using the same material.....question is how or what kind of finish do I use where the wall meets the platform? Gonna look like this:

Jimi

Finish as in coating or joining, or new Cedar must age

Reply to
ransley

Finish as in coating or joining, or new Cedar must age

Sorry...finish as in joining...I have no plans to treat the cedar with anything in this application...I just woould like to make a nice finished good looking professional joint Jim

Reply to
Jimi

Well I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here. To really do a nice job, you should have a chop saw that bevels to 45 degrees and you should have a table saw. Hard to get professional results without those tools. Outside corners look best mitered. The alternative is some kind of corner cap trim which you would probably have to make. For inside corners, it looks best butted tight with no trim. However, a lot of people find it necessary to add some sort of molding.

Reply to
marson

Jim,

We used T&G knotty pine on the walls of our master suite with T&G cedar on the ceilings. I simply used 1x3 cedar trim boards of a darker contrasting color to cover the joints and corners.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

I assume you are trying to join the cedar on its long dimension.

You can miter the joints. If you are joining the long dimensions, it would be best to have a tablesaw, though it can be done with a circular saw.

The other choice would be to set a solid piece at the edge line. You never said what thickness cedar you were installing, but the solid piece would need to be the same thickness or slightly thicker. You can run a round over, ogee, chamfer, or other trim bit if desired. Let your tongue and groove meet this board. It may require removing the tongue for a clean fit.

Reply to
DanG