tomorrow (March 12, 2016)

Page 2 of 3
On 3/14/2016 3:06 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Much depends on where you live in the time zone. Here in the east the extra hour at night is nice and it is still light at 5AM in June on DST. I really don't need it light at 4AM when I'm still sleeping. One the western edge of the zone it is about an hour different so I'd be happy to stay on standard time.
On 03/14/2016 02:06 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[snip]

Whether either "more hours of daylight in the evening" or "more hours of daylight in the morning" are true of not, we still have zero net benefit.
Actually less than zero, considering the amount of free time converted to wasted time (setting clocks, etc...).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Why bother with any of that. Everyone could just be on Zulu time.
On 03/12/2016 05:26 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

Years ago Virginia didn't do DST. I was driving south, stopped for breakfast, and noticed the diner clock was off. I didn't think I'd crossed a timezone so I asked the waitress. "That's God's time" was her reply. Welcome to Dixie.
On 3/12/2016 7:26 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

Its not stupid. I've been saving daylight for years now and have a hefty balance in my account. When I retire, I;ll have lots of daylight to do things.
On 03/12/2016 10:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[snip]

What kind of container do you use for your savings? Since photons are very small and are never moving at less than the speed of light, they're hard to contain.
On 3/12/2016 4:35 PM, notX wrote:

Yeah, now we have to figure out which time zone we *move* into for the next 6 months ("Are they 2 hours ahead of us? Or three?")
On 03/12/2016 06:23 PM, Don Y wrote:

AZ isn't as bad an Indiana used to be. When I worked there the state didn't do DST and the official state time was CST. However, the corner up by Chicago kept Chicago time, and the areas down by Cincinnati kept Ohio time. If you asked anyone what time it was, the non-committal reply was '20 minutes after the hour'. The welcome center on the interstate had a brochure on how to tell time in Indiana.
Then there's Navaholand...
On 3/12/2016 7:45 PM, rbowman wrote:

One just "forgets" about savings vs standard time, here. Kinda like forgetting about *winter*!
Then, you go to call someone out of state and discover they've left for the day ("But it's only 4PM... isn't it?") or haven't yet *arrived*.
And, my WWV/CHU clock doesn't know that we don't observe DST. So, I have to tell it "we've moved to California" to "fix it".
To some extent, it was easier when we had to remember to change the clocks...

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 18:23:36 -0700, Don Y

I heard my New Zealand TV guy saying there is a push to put everyone on zulu time and do away with time zones altogether.
On 3/12/16 6:35 PM, notX wrote:

As the old gal up the street says "I wish they would quit messing with the clocks. My roses need all the sunlight they can get"

That is almost as silly as people who blame DST on farmers. Most of them don't really care what time it is unless they are watching TV.
On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 21:51:56 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Dairy farmers actually change their scheduled milking time over about a week's time. They change the time by about 10 minutes per day for a week. An abrupt change of an hour will cut production and even upsets some of the cows. This is not a joke. I know several dairy farmers r their workers. One worker just told me he starts 10 minutes sooner tomorrow (or is it later, I always get confused by this). I actually thought thy were joking, but they were not. He explained the 10 minute per day shift change in the next week, and was real serious about it.
That makes me glad I dont have daily cows. Any other cattle, horses or other livestock do not need to be fed on such a tight schedule. In fact, I feed mine a little different each day, normally within a 3 hour range. That keeps them from getting hung up on a strict schedule, so they dont get all worked up and noisy if they are not fed exactly the same each day, and is a lot easier on me or whoever feeds them too. Occasionally, during severe weather conditions, (heavy rain, blizzards, other severe weather), they may get feed even longer, or get fed a lot sooner than usual, to accomodate the weather. If they are not on a precise feeding schedule, they dont make a big fuss when their schedule is all screwed up due to weather, or other unexpected conditions, such as my car breaks down, and I have to locate someone else to feed my animals.
Animals are not as stupid as most people think. They have a built in "clock", mostly based on the sunlight, and they somehow adjust it for the seasonal longer or shorter daylight times.
By the way, the time changed on March 13 @ 2.00am (NOT on March 12).
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 04:13:19 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

You are talking about modern farmers. Old time farmers got their time cues from the sun, not the clock. They would adjust by a few minutes a day, every day for the 4 solar seasons without really noticing that much, just like their animals.
I do find it interesting that my dog adjusts to DST faster than I do. His time cues seem to be apparent right away.
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 11:21:02 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I think many farmers still go by the sun, but when they hire people to help with the milking, (which most large dairy operations do), they have to use a clock to make sure the hired help is there on time. The person who told me about this, is "hired help" on a large dairy farm, and THEY are the ones who have to adjust their schedule over the next week or so.
On 03/13/2016 05:13 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:
[snip]

The word "tomorrow" was valid on March 12. Maybe that's what the poster meant. On March 12, the "time change" is tomorrow. On March 13, it isn't tomorrow.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 03/12/2016 07:51 PM, Retired wrote:
[snip]

I used to have a friend with a small dog he fed at the same time of the day. This let to a little confusion when DST started. It's funny that it was the dog that got it right.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 03/12/2016 06:51 PM, Retired wrote:

Morning sun is more beneficial than evening sun so the government should add the extra hour of light in the morning.
On 3/13/2016 10:39 AM, Arthur Andersen wrote:

I always laugh when I read about the "extra hour". There is still the same amount of sun there was the day before :)
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 12:19:38 -0500, SeaNymph

That is not really true, there will be more sunlight every successive day until June 21, then the days start getting shorter again. DST is reflecting that, based on when the sun goes down, and gives an apparently longer time between getting off work and dark.
I agree it might be easier for employers to simply let people start work sooner in the summer but they want the whole area to be in sync.
I am retired and I am never sure what time it is anyway so I really don't care anyway.