tomorrow (March 12, 2016)

Page 1 of 3
Tomorrow is National Clock-Fuck Day
It's a bi-annual celebration of stupidity.
Celebration begins at 2:00 AM
CORRECTION: due to stupidity, there is NO TWO this Sunday morning. It has been officially re-designated as three.
On 3/12/2016 5:35 PM, notX wrote:

I despise the stupidity of DST.
On 3/12/2016 7:26 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

At least it used to be easy to change the dials on the old analog clocks. Now you need a degree in electrical engineering to change time on some modern devices.
On 03/12/2016 05:33 PM, Frank wrote:

I'm hoping my wristwatch takes care of itself. That will be one less to deal with.
On 03/12/2016 06:33 PM, Frank wrote:
[snip]

Once I had a timer with a really complicated way to set the clock.
There were 3 buttons marked A B and C. The instructions were something like:
1. Hold A while pressing B. Continue holding both buttons until "on time" flashes on the display (about 5 seconds). Release button B first.
2. Repeatedly press C until the words "set time" and the hour flash.
3. Press A until the hour is correct.
4. Press B. The minute will start flashing.
5. Press A until the minute is correct*
6. Press B. "AM" or "PM" starts flashing.
7. Press A to change it if not already correct
8. Press C for 3 seconds to enter the time
9. Press A to exit settings mode
I would have never figured that one out if it wasn't on the label in really small print. In a bad translation from the Chinese, with a bunch of weird misspellings and grammatical oddities.
* - there's no reverse button, and it's VERRRY SLOW to go back around when you go 1 over.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 3/12/2016 8:01 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I like clocks. Well, more specifically, the *display* of time information (not really interested in mechanisms, etc.). I am constantly looking for clever or insane ways of "displaying" the current time!
In the late 70's I built a "digital clock" as a XMAS gift for my would-be in-laws. Packaged it in a hand-made lexan case, etc. As with most of my gifts, the whole point was that it was unique -- one-of-a-kind.
My best friend, being far more of a capitalist than I, was pushing for me to turn it into a product. "No, that defeats the one-of-a-kind nature of it... what 'makes it special'!"
Several years later, he bought my wife and I, this: <
http://www.orbichronics.com/Orbichron.jpg
as an XMAS gift. While it was a "nice gift", the real message was, "See, you could have been selling this long before anyone else came up with the idea!"
<shrug> The clock I'd made for my in-laws was still one-of-a-kind, despite this little jibe.
Anyway, the commercial clock, while being much more professionally made, has two huge flaws.
First, the buttons to set the time (HOURS, MINUTES, SWEEP SECOND HAND, PAUSE) "bounce". This is a characteristic of damn near all mechanical switches -- the contacts don't solidly open and close but, instead, "bounce" so you get lots of make-break-make-break-make... before they finally MAKE (or BREAK). When You interface to a switch, you include a "debouncing circuit" -- so the switch appears to snap on and snap off, cleanly.
The consequence of the bounce is that when you push a button (e.g., MINUTES), as the LED's cycle around the display (like the tip of a "minute hand") and approach the desired point in time, releasing the button at the *perfect* time usually causes it to "bounce" quickly past where you would like it to have stopped. So, you have to repeat the process (another ~60 seconds) for the minute hand to come around full circle to HOPEFULLY stop where you'd like it to stop (i.e., one minute later than where you originally wanted it to stop!).
This is frustrating. OTOH, if it only "bounces a little" and you don't mind the clock being "fast" a minute or two, you can just ignore it!
Second, the hour hand is not synchronized with the minute hand. You can set the hour independently of the minute (which makes sense as you don't want to spend forever ticking through the minutes from 12:00 to whatever the current time happens to be!). But, there are 4 LEDs for each hour!
The first corresponds to X:00-X:14; the second to X:15-X:29; the third to X:30-X:44 and the fourth to X:45-X:59.
Given that the HOURS button bounces just like the MINUTES, getting the clock to "stop" on the correct LED is a bit more trying! E.g., if it is 12:07, you want the hour LED to be the LED directly at the "12" mark; not the LED one quarter of the way to the "1" mark! If the button bounces and overshoots, then you'll eventually end up with the clock displaying 1:46 when it's really 12:46, etc.
A smarter implementation would have automatically advanced the hour hand 4 LED's at a time -- so that it was always at the "correct" LED based on the current minute hand position!
Now, when *I* design a clock, I treat it simply like a "display"; I let it talk to a time server and just "display" the time that is being "served" to it! No fiddling around trying to keep all the clocks in the house in some "consistent"[1] state!
[1] Consistent doesn't mean they all have to display the same exact time!
On 03/12/2016 11:25 PM, Don Y wrote:
[snip]

I'm considering an unusual clock display I read about. The design uses 6 full-color LEDs. One of these actually has red, green, and blue LEDs in a 4-lead package. These are driven by PWM (variable duty cycle) signals from a one-chip computer (Arduino) and can produce any color. Using the color code used on electronic components, a LED represents a digit. 6 LEDs display the time.
In college, I learned "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly" as a way to remember the colors:
0 - black (OFF) 1 - brown 2 - red 3 - orange 4 - yellow 5 - green 6 - blue 7 - violet 8 - gray 9 - white
Therefore, the current time (01:45:42) is shown as black-brown-yellow-green-yellow-red
[snip]
BTW, As I write this, I'm less than 12 minutes away from "the 2 o'clock that doesn't exist" when 1:59:59 is just one second away from 3:00:00.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 3/13/2016 12:50 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

s/Violet/Virgins/
In my case, I recall the color spectrum as Roy G Biv (in order of increasing frequencies). Prepend Black and Brown and append Grey and White (eliding indigo)

Interesting -- relying on accurate color perception (7% of men have some form of color-blindness).
I opt for more "head trips". E.g., a braille cell consists of 2 columns of 3 dots (there is also an 8 cell braille but I'm talking "old school", here). Digits are indicated by prefacing a cell with the "digit" marker. Then, A-J become 1-0. For example,
O. O. OO OO O. OO OO O. .O .O .. O. .. .O .O O. OO OO O. OO .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
are the encodings for a thru j (1 thru 0 if prefaced by the "number" flag)
So, arrange groups of 6 LEDs in cells like this. Then, illuminate the LEDs corresponding to the "bumps" in the braille character.
<shrug> No big deal. When folks see it and you explain it to them, they typically respond with a nonplussed "Oh".
The folks who think about it realize the "goof" involved: the people who would understand the encoding (blind) can't *see* the LED's! And, the folks who can *see* the LEDs don't understand the encoding! I.e., the whole point of the clock is to get folks to come to this realization.
(of course, there are exceptions)
I have another *alarm* clock that is a conventional (dial) telephone. Pick up the receiver and "At the tone, the time will be...". *Dial* an alarm time and the phone *rings* at that time!
Again, it's just a "goof" on casual observers.
[I want to redo this design to make it fit into an old candlestick phone]
I'd also like to build a unary clock in a set of glass tubes. But, getting particular lengths of glass pipe means having it cut *for* you. As a result, I have to have all my i's dotted and t's crossed before I can head down that path (dealing with heat dissipation in glass pipes is a bit of a crap shoot).
I'm working on a Rube Goldberg design, currently (mechanical) to form a piece of kinematic "lawn sculpture". Folks looking at it will just think "that's interesting". The fact that it is a timepiece wouldn't be obvious to most (any??).
[This is really hard! It was relatively easy for Goldberg to come up with his contraptions -- they could easily defy the laws of nature, didn't have to be lubricated, maintained outdoors, etc. Trying to make something *physical* along the same lines is considerably harder!]

We don't have that problem, here! :>
On 03/13/2016 12:50 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

It was a little more racist in my day...
On 3/13/2016 5:46 PM, rbowman wrote:

That cast a bit more of a black cloud over the matter. Willingly to silver and gold (help remember that silver and gold denote different tolerance levels.)
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 3/13/2016 10:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

"Good Stuff" or "Get Some Now"
On 03/13/2016 10:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I must have never heard that one. I heard a "cleaner" version but don't remember anything of that after "Betty Brown".

And also small multipliers sometimes used for resistance less than 1 ohm.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 03/14/2016 04:10 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

It's self evident that you start with Black.

I never heard another one....

Yep...
I always thought they should have made the resistor color code the same as the pool (billiard) ball colors.....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>On 3/13/2016 5:46 PM, rbowman wrote:</DIV> <DIV>&gt; On 03/13/2016 12:50 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:</DIV> <DIV>&gt;&gt;</DIV> <DIV>&gt;&gt; In college, I learned "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But = Violet Gives</DIV> <DIV>&gt;&gt; Willingly" as a way to remember the colors:</DIV> <DIV>&gt;</DIV> <DIV>&gt; It was a little more racist in my day...</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>That cast a bit more of a black cloud</DIV> <DIV>over the matter. Willingly to silver</DIV> <DIV>and gold (help remember that silver and</DIV> <DIV>gold denote different tolerance levels.)</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>-- </DIV> <DIV>.</DIV> <DIV>Christopher A. Young</DIV> <DIV>learn more about Jesus</DIV> <DIV>.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; www.lds.org</DIV> <DIV>.</DIV> <DIV><U><FONT size=4>This is on standard Resistor </FONT></U></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=4>Gold = 5% – tolerance</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=4>Silver = 10% - tolerance</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=4>No color = 20% - tolerance</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><U><FONT size=4>Capacitor's are some what = different</FONT></U></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=4>for different type of configuration </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=4>Tolerance Varies with type</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=4>Mica = REC-115a</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=4>Ceramics = Retma Rec-107a</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=4>Military = Jan-C-20a</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=4>Paper Military Standard Mil-C-91a</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=4>And I believe there are more!!!</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=4>73 = KA2AYS</FONT></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML> ------=
On 3/12/2016 6:33 PM, Frank wrote:

This is one of 2 times during the year that I realize how many things in this house keep time.
On 03/13/2016 09:24 AM, SeaNymph wrote:
[snip]

Yes. I hope I got all mine reset.
There are things like most computers and cell phones that do it automatically.
There are those that PRETEND to set themselves but really don't except the +/- 1 hour DST adjustment. Most need to be reset manually to compensate for errors during the half year (many are a little fast).
I don't use the clock in my microwave.
If DST is good for something, that would be giving you a chance to set your clocks right.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 7:27:01 PM UTC-5, SeaNymph wrote:

I LOVE DST, its awesome to have more hours of daylight in the evening
On 03/12/2016 06:38 PM, bob haller wrote:

LOL. I actually did. That "more daylight" nonsense.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 7:38:54 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:

I love standard time; it's awesome to have more hours of daylight in the morning.
Cindy Hamilton