Toliet Flapper Problem

Hello,

I have a toliet that constantly runs. When I look inside the flapper valve seems to give and is lower on one side, allowing water to pass.

I re-adjusted it to center, and it stopped, until a few flushes later and it's off center again. How do I fix this permanently so I don't have to re-center the flapper valve all the time? And is this a common problem?

Thanks

Reply to
Bill

Well, what kind of valve do you have.

If it is fluidmaster, they have a reasonably priced flapper repair kit that comes with neato putty and all sorts of stuff that i've used in several houses (myself, relatives), that cures the problem, for oh, a decade or two.

See their troubleshooting page here. Even if you don't have a fluidmaster, it may give you some hints...

timbirr

"Bill" wrote in news:rNU0g.37$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

Google "flapperless toilet". I have one,it works great,no flapper to rot away or leak.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Bill,

Replace the flapper--they are very inexpensive. I've seen manufacturing defects in a few and it doesn't take much to let some water past. To be safe plan on replacing the flapper once a year and use some cheap latex gloves to handle it in the tank.

Bill wrote:

Reply to
Joey

Latex gloves?? Gloves are for pussies. :-) Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

This has been brought up several times in the past. Sometimes Fluidmaster does not work well with some toilets. You need to get an OEM flapper from a plumbing supply house or even online. I fought with my Eljer toilet to get the flapper to work. Fluidmaster or Korky did not help. I ordered the original flapper online from Eljer, and it works.

Reply to
Mikepier

I have Eljer toilets, probably pretty cheap ones. I replaced the flapper once or twice with no problem but then I couldn't find one to fit, including of course, the ones called "universal". Went to lots of places, and finally found one at a family hardware store (since closed). So I went back and bought all 5 that they had. Used up 3 of them and started to wonder what I would do 2 later. Searched on the web and got only 2 hits for this model of flapper.

and one hit was in Baltimore and incredbily cheap to boot. So I bought two cases of them. If they don't get old in the box, they should be enough to last the rest of my life. I don't want to face the fear, horror, and hysteria of not having a flapper, like I did a few years ago.

I'll check on the brand and model if anyone wants.

I didn't think try elger. I'm going to look at their page now. Pretty good page. Lists every toilet they make, shows in color every color each comes in, and lists the price. Parts seemed to be in a pdf file, and I've agreed not to dl pdf files without consulting with my computer codependancy sponsor, so I'll have to skip that part.

Reply to
mm