Toilets flapper valves leak

Hello all: I would appreciate advice on my problem. I have 3 toilets in my house and by chance I discovered that all 3 leaked through the flapper valve. I replaced the valves in all three and they still leak. One may not notice valve leakage because most people leave the room shortly after having flushed, but I hanged around and noticed that leakage occurred in all three, causing a refill cycle in about 10-20 min. depending on the toilet. Is this normal? or should the flapper let no water leak at all. Is there a way to stop this waste of water? What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance Walter
A good way to test if the flapper is leaking is to wait until the toilet fills and the water stops then add food coloring (red) to the water tank. Wait an hour and look to see if the color has migrated into the bowl. If so the flapper is bad and needs to be replaced. When replacing a flapper I always sand smooth the mating surface.
Hello all: I would appreciate advice on my problem. I have 3 toilets in my house and by chance I discovered that all 3 leaked through the flapper valve. I replaced the valves in all three and they still leak. One may not notice valve leakage because most people leave the room shortly after having flushed, but I hanged around and noticed that leakage occurred in all three, causing a refill cycle in about 10-20 min. depending on the toilet. Is this normal? or should the flapper let no water leak at all. Is there a way to stop this waste of water? What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance Walter
Clean the surface flapper seals with a stainless steel pad sold at hardward stores. Make sure you drop NOTHING in the hole.
Hello all: I would appreciate advice on my problem. I have 3 toilets in my house and by chance I discovered that all 3 leaked through the flapper valve. I replaced the valves in all three and they still leak. One may not notice valve leakage because most people leave the room shortly after having flushed, but I hanged around and noticed that leakage occurred in all three, causing a refill cycle in about 10-20 min. depending on the toilet. Is this normal? or should the flapper let no water leak at all. Is there a way to stop this waste of water? What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance Walter
Walter Voigt wrote:

Hi,
I had a similar problem and discovered that the flappers I tried were not sealing well at the portion between the 2 arms. So I tried a fluidmaster flapper, which is made in such a way that this problem does not occur, and I have no more leaks :)
Something like: http://www.fluidmaster.com/flush_products_503.html
good luck
No, not normal but happens all the time. Like you I once replace a toilet with 4 new flappers and they all still leak.
Get the flapper with the sticky-back seat combo (fluidmaster has them) - works for me most of the time.
You could pour hot water into the empty tank and let the rubber flapper conform to the seat. Works some of the time. I think, from my experience, this works better than rubbing vasoline on the back of the flapper which works, if at all, during the first few flushes.
I had one that was driving me nuts. Turns out the top portion of the overflow plastic tube was cracked and lowering the water level stop the leak. This one will be retired with a new toilet and new floor when I have time.
I also had hairline cracks on the tanks a couple of times but you will see some water on the outside tank, on the floor or around the toilet. My solution was to replace with a new toilets.
Then there are toilets that would not cooperate no matter what I do. Good thing is the low end toilets are cheap and works well and could be changed within an hour.
Fred,
Have you done this hot water trick? I'd be afraid that hot water would crack the tank. I suppose you could put the flapper in a pot of hot water for 5 min before installing.
Dave M.

Hot not boiling enough to soften the rubber. Also you could remove the flapper and use a heat gun. I've done both about 20% success rate.
If its an insulated toilet make sure that the problem isn't with the insulation. I have seen this one before and it took a while to find the problem. I replaced the flapper etc and still had problems. In the end I cut away some of the insulation and problem solved.
Peter H
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hello all:</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I would appreciate advice on my problem.&nbsp; I have 3 toilets in my house and by chance I discovered that all 3 leaked through the flapper valve.&nbsp; I replaced the valves in all three and they still leak.&nbsp; One may not notice valve leakage&nbsp; because most&nbsp; people leave the room shortly after having flushed, but I hanged around and noticed that leakage occurred in all three, causing a refill cycle in about 10-20 min. depending on the toilet.&nbsp; Is this normal? or should the flapper let no water leak at all.&nbsp; Is there a way to stop this waste of water?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>What am I doing wrong?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks in advance</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Walter</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Thank you all for the advice given, I truly appreciate the spirit of cooperation shown in this newsgroup. Walter Voigt
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hello all:</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I would appreciate advice on my problem.&nbsp; I have 3 toilets in my house and by chance I discovered that all 3 leaked through the flapper valve.&nbsp; I replaced the valves in all three and they still leak.&nbsp; One may not notice valve leakage&nbsp; because most&nbsp; people leave the room shortly after having flushed, but I hanged around and noticed that leakage occurred in all three, causing a refill cycle in about 10-20 min. depending on the toilet.&nbsp; Is this normal? or should the flapper let no water leak at all.&nbsp; Is there a way to stop this waste of water?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>What am I doing wrong?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks in advance</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Walter</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=