Toilets again

I'm going to replace our toilets soon. I want to get the new higher ones for my wife's comfort. Seems that both Kohler and American Standard make highly rated ones and I think I have it narrowed down to two.
AS Cadet 4 1.6
Kohler Cimmeron 1.6
Both of these are in the $300 range, but I see other only $230 and some up to $450. Aside from a few obvious style differences, what do you get for more money? We are going to live with these for many years so I don't want to get anything less than excellent in performance.
More important, anything I should avoid?
writes:

===== We've been quite happy with Costco's captive housebrand, Waterridge. They're got two models - one is a separate tank and bowl (which you join together) for about $90, the other is a single piece unit for about $140.
We have the former.
It's pretty rare that we get a jam needing plunging, and that's (warning, TMI...) after a hefty dump with lots and lots of toilet paper... flushing before using all the paper works..
- the nice thing about them is that... they're "dual flush" with a choice of a 1 gallon (for liquids) and 1.6 gallon (for solids..). So you can save more water that way.
- The only reason I'd have opted for one of the other available units was to get one with a higher ("ADA speced") seat. These are standard height.
On Sun, 12 May 2013 19:14:55 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein

The dual flush is a good idea. Costco is about 2 hours from me and I'd pass a dozen plumbing supply and home centers on the way and pay a surcharge for non-members so that knocks me out of that brand.
On Sun, 12 May 2013 19:14:55 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein

OTOH, my brother's a physician and makes a very good living and bought some fancy house on a fancy street and the fancy toilets had some fancy French name and every time I used one, it need cleaning afterwards because the water level wasn't high enough to stop it from getting dirty. I know how to adjust the water level in the tank, for flushing, but I don't think the water level in the bowl is adjustable. . I don't know if my brother had remodeled or an owner before him put them in, but i'll bet either way there was no feedback about how bad the toilets were. I'm sure they were a lot more money than my Elgin toilets that work just fine. He's sold the house now so I can't recover the name and check their ratings.

Have you chgecked Consumer Reports, I know they have done toilets not too long ago.. What always amazes me is that our local Menards has more than 40 different toilets on display. I could see maybe 15 - 20, to cover various styles, tank shapes, and seat heights, but beyond that just blows my mind!!!
On Sunday, May 12, 2013 11:45:27 AM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Single piece.
On Sun, 12 May 2013 22:09:33 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I've heard that in the past. Aside from style, I don't see any advantage to them.
On 5/12/2013 2:45 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We have 2 Cimmerons and they are probably the best that I have ever had. They are now about 4 years old and have never needed plunging, however, there are only 2 adults here. The slow, smooth seat drop is really nice, however, you get so used to just flipping the seat cover, that when you visit a friend's house, BANG ... Oops. You can hold the flush lever for a little more water, but I've never even done that. On one of them, I did have some black "deposits" at the water line in the bowl. I called Kohler and their excellent customer service person told me to put vinegar in the tank and leave it soak for a while. Completely eliminated the problem.
Previously, I had 3 - 1 piece American Standard 1.6 units. They were horrible. They would get plugged from pee! ... Just kidding a bit, but they would plug with a few pieces of TP sitting just the right (or wrong) way. I'm sure they've made improvements now as that was 10 - 15 years ago.

For that kind of money, you could build an entire outhouse. Forget the toilet, build an outhouse. :)
Contact the "National Toilet Association".
On 05/13/2013 10:25 PM, toilet snipped-for-privacy@facebook.com wrote:

And the Toilet Safety Administration.

Good point. Those TSA guys at the airport have done a great job on the restrooms.

I was looking and decided kohler, one model that seemed to have positive reviews. I was going to change present toilet, then found I needed the OLD spacing from wall. That narrowed down the selection. I put the old American standard back in.
Way to many models. My old American standard needed rebuilt for a leak, otherwise it works well, is only partly water saving. Many of the water savers work like shit, or leave shit. Read the reviews.
Greg