Toilet Worms

I've got a toilet that leaks at the base of the toilet. I know I need to install a new wax ring. No problem there.
My issue is that when it leaks, out come these little worms (nasty, I know.) After I remove the toilet how can I get rid of these creatures?
TIA.
BR
Big Bubba wrote:

Maybe this'll help: http://www.grandmas-wisdom.com/tapeworm.html
Thanks, but it's not tapeworm. The worms are living in and around the toilet, not on me. They are very samll, about a quarter inch long.
BR

put them on a piece of bread and eat them.
Yeah, with a gas build up things could get real ugly.
BR

Big Bubba wrote:

TDD
Big Bubba wrote:

Bleach them.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?
I saw something similar in a neglected ( covered with a plastic bag for god knows how long) clogged toilet in a building I was working at..I pulled the bag to fix the toilet after someone called me and was totally grossed out by a squirming mess of little worms in the water and crap in the bowl. I'm not normally easily upset ( hell I used to repair sewage ejector pumps for a living) but this was so unexpected and so nasty I admit I took a few steps back and almost ran for it!
Once I recovered my composure, I went and got some supplies for the attack..I poured a gallon of bleach ( ok, it was overkill, but these things were gross) into the crap in the toilet and the worms reacted violently, spasmed for a few minutes, then died and that was the end of it. Never saw another one anywhere. I never did figure out what they were, in my shop discussions we were evenly divided between fly larva ( maggots) and some kind of parasite that was living in the shit in the toilet and kept on living after the dump. I can't say I wanted to get any closer to really examine them to figure it out anyway.
So get a nice spray bottle, fill it with pure bleach, then blast away when you have the toilet out, I suspect this will solve the problem.
--
Mike S.

"Big Bubba" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
Mike:
OK. Done deal. It wasn't nearly as bad as expected. Them worms weren't too happy though.
I can see how it all happened. There was small leak in the ring and some of my waste colledted outside of the ring under the base of the toilet. Well, this must be a fantastic place for these munchkins.
Thanks for everybody suggestions.
BR

snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in

You should have sub-k'd that one out!

Yes, I would agree but now he's got one hell of a story!
cheers Bob

A spray bottle containing unadulterated Clorox Bleach (applied liberally) and then wiped up with paper towels will cure the parasite problem. You might also bring a heat gun to help speed up the drying process of the wood underneath the ring where the little beasties are living... Just in case.
The Ranger

You never thought of doing something before, like a can of Raid or some bleach down there mr bubba, even any cheap booze will work, geeze.
Big Bubba wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/image002.gif
-----Original Message----- From: Big Bubba [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com] Posted At: Monday, October 27, 2008 2:07 PM Posted To: alt.home.repair Conversation: Toilet Worms Subject: Toilet Worms
I've got a toilet that leaks at the base of the toilet. I know I need to install a new wax ring. No problem there.
My issue is that when it leaks, out come these little worms (nasty, I know.) After I remove the toilet how can I get rid of these creatures?
Here's something that has always puzzled me. It was in the late 70's/early 80's in an old house (supposed to be hooked to city water and sewer). The bathtub backed up with raw sewage. Then some months later the owner reported that there were snakes inside the toilet tank. I passed the story off as owner's daughter reporting it was known to 'tell tales'.
However, when the house was sold the new owner experienced the same thing...snakes in the toilet tank. Supposedly the water in the tank was clear and clean, but no one could figure out how the snakes were getting in there. The water bill didn't indicate excess as in a broken pipe, perhaps.
When I saw this post about 'worms', I thought perhaps that might have been the answer...however they were not small little worms....they were big and described as snakes. The newspaper even ran an article about the house.
Anyone ever hear of something like this?

fill pipe/hose?
h wrote:

Maybe it was coming up through the sewer pipe. I'd like to see the look on the face of the person sitting on the potty when they felt something touching them while taking a crap.