toilet won't drain but tub will

The toilet fills with water when flushed but the tub right next to it drains fine. I ran a short snake into the toilet and didn't seem to do anything. We also get lots of bubbles into the toilet when draining the tub which really worries me!

It is clogged, just a question of where. Perhaps a longer snake is needed, or some pressure from a plunger.

A toilet plunger. Not a flat sink plunger.
http://www.thegoodmanorscompany.com/artwork/janiplunger.jpg
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Tha'd be it! A bit better than my artwork :-)
I found it on www.google.com then click "images" and enter "toilet plunger" in the search box.
You, too, can amaze your friends. Although, your art work was clear enough to tell what you meant.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

...to someone who already knew what it was.
I was thinking closet auger. The smaller drain snakes can be too tiny for a large bore toilet drain.
Second idea would be a big dump of hydroxide drain cleaner, and then leave it to see if the blockage liquifies and runs down the drain.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.