Toilet woes, help needed

Here's the problem:
1. Sometimes toilet doesn't flush sometimes because tank is empty. I have to take off cover and moves somethings around to make the water refill.
2. Toilet runs. Jiggling the handle helps, but not enough.
Anybody know how I can fix either of these problems?
Thanks.
Gluegunman wrote:

Flapper. And quit flushing your dope every time there's a knock at the door..
Gluegunman wrote:

Presuming it is a typical North american toilet? Maybe the float catching on something and not allowing water to flow in and refill the tank? On other hand if water is running or dribbling through all the time check operation of or replace the flapper valve; the flap valve that allows water to flush rapidly into the toiley bowl. Usually pretty easy to diagnose by looking at it. Spare parts pretty reasonable too. If not get a competent friend or a plumber!
Often, it's just the chain from the flush handle being long enough that it gets caught under the flapper valve. I suggest that you take the free course in Toiletology. http://www.toiletology.com/index.shtml

It sounds like it is time for a new chain and flapper valve. They are not expensive and it is an easy job. Your local hardware store should have what you need.